Tuesday, June 1, 2010

J.Crew Laughs All the Way to the Bank!

A big "thanks!" to Raina (check out her lovely "If The Lamp Shade Fits" blog) who shared the following article over at the Wall Street Journal (click here).
J.Crew Profit More Than Doubles
By Elizabeth Holmes

May 27, 2010


J.Crew Group Inc. doubled its profits in the first quarter
on stronger full-price selling and expanded into online denim and standalone bridal shops.


The New York-based casual apparel retailer, which operates 246 full-price stores, is a darling of Wall Street because of its continually robust sales as well as its expansion potential.


On Thursday, J.Crew unveiled an online-sales channel for its fledgling denim division, Madewell, and also opened its first bridal boutique, J.Crew Bridal, on Manhattan's tony Madison Avenue. Appointments there are booked through July, and Chief Executive Millard "Mickey" Drexler said standalone bridal stores could easily be replicated elsewhere.


"I don't see why we can't do this in every major city in America," Mr. Drexler said on a call with investors.


J.Crew weathered the recession better than many of its peers, because its highly sought-after fashion has given it a cult-like status in some fashion circles. But the popularity in certain categories, such as embellished cardigans and T-shirts, has led to several copycats from lower-priced retailers.


For the three months ended May 1, J.Crew's profit more than doubled to $44.7 million, or 68 cents a share, from $20.4 million, or 32 cents a share, a year earlier. Net sales rose 20% to $413.9 million. Sales at stores open at least a year, a closely watched measure of a retailer's health, increased 15% over the prior-year period.


Mr. Drexler said the company is focused on winning market share. "It's a take-from-your-competitors business," he said.


Gross margin increased to 49%
, up more than six percentage points from a year earlier. Merchandise margins were "significantly better than anticipated" the company said. The average price per item also saw a "significant" increase versus expectations.


The company raised its full-year guidance to $2.35 to $2.45 per share, up from the previously $2.20 to $2.30.
There is also an article over at Reuters (click here to read it in its entirety) that shares some interesting points:
The company, which caters to urban professionals willing to pay extra to make subtle fashion statements, boosted its full-year earnings forecast to $2.35 to $2.45 per share from $2.20 to $2.30 per share previously.

New York-based J Crew said fewer markdowns and promotions helped first-quarter net income rise to $44.7 million, or 68 cents per share, from $20.4 million, or 32 cents, in the year-ago quarter.
Dayum! J.Crew is performing uber-well. Which is great news for stock-holders. I am delightfully surprised how well they are doing too, considering how many other retailers (like Ann Taylor Loft) are offering similar styles (with greater sales & promotions than J.Crew too!)

As a consumer I am a bit sad to see less & less markdowns and promotions. ;) At the end of the day, J.Crew has its fans (or fanatics in my case) who won't shop anywhere else! Incidentally, I like to think the JCA Blogaversary/ BIRTHDAY code helped boost J.Crew's profits a tiny bit. :)

How incredible is it, that appointments for J.Crew's new Bridal Boutique is already booked up through July!?!

Would you consider purchasing J.Crew stock? Do you think J.Crew will continue to perform well in its next quarter? :)

9 comments:

  1. As one of the most faithful JCrew customer, I should have bought stock in the company a long time ago. But I guess it's never too late. Thanks for sharing.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have done my share to boost sales! J crew certainly is doing something right that it has held my attention for a very long time:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did buy J Crew stock a long time ago....and watched it plummet (I'm not greatest investor). It's been a few years, and I'm hoping it will rise enough now for me to get my investment back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kind of sad J. Crew is doing so well because they now have even less incentive to raise their quality. I haven't purchased a lot from J. Crew lately because the sizing is either really weird or the quality is so poor I'm afraid I'll only have it for a few wears. I guess the recessionistas (i.e. women who started "bargain" shopping at J. Crew instead of their normal high-end department stores during the recession) as well as the quality plummet will keep J. Crew rolling in dough but it's sad to see one of my favorite retailers become another mall store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I guess that means I'm in a cult!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought my stock several years ago, when they weren't doing so well, so I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find this surprising but interesting news.

    I have not changed my shopping habits and always buy on sale. I won't let a company pressure me to buy full price no matter what!

    I guess many celebs buy from JCrew and this has helped them a lot finacially. If I were a celeb I wouldn't be buying from JCrew that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If they are doing so well, why did they close the store in Brea, CA? I don't understand! I'm panicking as I have no stores nearby any longer!

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)