I have come across, through my many years of purchasing at J.Crew, that there are a few tips that all J.Crew (devoted) shoppers should know about!
- First and foremost: J.Crew's customer service is one of the best in the business. So never hesitate to give them a call (800-562-0258) about any issues you might be having. (I have their phone number stored on my cell-phone for easy dialing access!)
- If you are a student, show your student ID and J.Crew will give you a student discount of 15% in their stores. That discount applies to just regular items. (It use to apply to sale items too, but those days are over.)
- If you are a teacher, show them some form of proof and J.Crew will give you an educator's discount of 15%! (I just found out about this juicy tidbit this weekend!)
- Don't hesitate to return "final sales" items if the merchandise is defective. I ordered the beautiful Jeweled-buckle grosgrain belt in black (Item No. 90865) to find one of the jeweled pieces missing and the other one completely off. I called J.Crew immediately and they mailed me a new one.
- There is a red-phone in all stores that allows customers to place store & catalog orders for regular priced items. This is especially great for items not available in the stores since J.Crew provides free shipping. Alas, the free shipping offer via red phone offer does not apply to sale merchandise. (Again, I know this for sure because I tried). HOWEVER, your student and educators discounts do apply over the red phone (so do not forget to mention them when placing an order!)
- If you are looking for a regular priced item and it's out of stock online, call J.Crew and ask to perform a "store search". Essentially, J.Crew associates will check the stock of that item in all of their stores. When they find the product you want (both size & color), they will mail it to you. Sadly, this service is not applicable to sales items. (They use to offer it for sale items and it was great too! But J.Crew probably recognized it wasn't cost effective for them.)
- UPDATE: I completely forgot to include something about "waitlisted" items. If you are waitlisted for a particular item and that item goes on sale for a lesser amount (this includes the item being a part of the 20-30% off temporary sale section), make sure you call J.Crew for a price adjustment. They will always honor the lowest price before the item is shipped out. Unfortunately, they don't update the lowest price automatically- so you do have to keep track of prices. (I have called about price adjustments numerous times in the past and J.Crew has always been accommodating. It has saved me a bunch of money that I used towards other purchases too!)
- If you "sign up" your email for new arrivals and promotions (through the website,) J.Crew will email you a welcome offer that usually consists of a free shipping code. (Gotta love that!)