Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Look At J.Crew's Head Designer Todd Synder

As mentioned previously (refer to the "J.Crew's Snyder and Lyons: Fashion's Most Powerful " post), Todd Synder is a head designer over at J.Crew. There is a great article published at the Iowa State Daily newspaper that talks about some of Snyder's inspirations. The following is a portion of the article.

J. Crew designer, ISU alumnus says roots have helped his career: Designer finds ideas from movies, music and everyday things
By Paul Nemeth
November 18, 2005


The movie starts. The audience is entertained as it watches Paul Newman on the screen, but, unlike most audience members, Todd Snyder is collecting ideas for future designs. Snyder, vice president of men's design for J. Crew, says he is inspired by many things, including several classic movie stars such as Paul Newman and Steve McQueen.
"They weren't cutting-edge fashion, but they were real," Snyder says. "They were guys that had a rugged sensibility. They also had a cleaned-up way about them."

Many times, movies, music and young people help contribute to Snyder's ideas. He says he is always collecting ideas from pop culture and, sometimes, from things as simple as seeing somebody on the subway. His designs comprise many of these elements.
"In design, you kind of pull from all those things," Snyder says. "Things that are unique can come from music or come from architecture. They can come from books, magazines or traveling the world. Just simple things like seeing people at the bar. It all of a sudden gets your creative juices flowing. It's all about finding a different point of view."

...Snyder's fashion sense is constantly being updated with the seasons the world of fashion goes through, and he says the younger generation helps him keep up with the times. He says he hopes to inspire that generation the way it inspires him. He says a good eye for trendiness also helps. "I am able to get a pulse of what can make it here and know when something's really cool," Snyder says. "You start seeing kids around here wearing it, and that's when you know you've done something big."

...Snyder has noticed the quality has gone downhill. He says he is sick of people complaining about how the United States doesn't have any good clothing. When people want things cheaper, clothing industries are going to use lower-quality goods, Snyder says. Snyder has worked hard at J. Crew trying to increase the quality of the clothing industry.
"We want people to feel like they can buy something and wear it this year, but also two or three years from now," Snyder says. "It's really an investment."

First, I always enjoying reading about the designers over at J.Crew. Second, I think it is great that Synder gets inspiration from everyday life like movies and actor Paul Newman. (Mr. Synder, may I suggest watching AMC's Mad Men as another source of inspiration? I swear you will just love the show and the great clothes!)

What do you think of the article? Do you agree that J.Crew has been offering items that are not just something you will wear for a few years, but a real investment?

11 comments:

  1. J.Crew "investments" usually aren't inexpensive, but I agree that if you buy something and can wear it for years(and it still holds up beautifully);then yes, it's an investment.
    I bought last season's Sybil Coat at full price with this notion in mind. I can't wait to wear it this winter and the next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous at 1:02 AM: Congrats on the Sybil Coat!!! I actually bought that coat last winter as well (in the bright red/poppy color). I just love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few items which I can see wearing for several years. I have the university coat in charcoal from two years ago and it looks great and should work for the next few winters as well.

    The wool suit pants are another one that continue to look good and stand up. I prefer all wool ones, the blends tend to pill. I have a pair in herringbone from four years ago and they still look great.

    The merino sweaters are another solid piece that are very well priced and wear well. I have three and none have shown any wear.

    Too bad I can't say the same for the two cashmere ones from J.Crew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JCrew Guy In Canada: I have to 100% agree with you on the University Coat- it really is a fabulous staple. My husband has one and wears it year after year. It just looks great, even throughout the years of use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sybil coat is gorgeous! I wish I'd gotten it. :( Right now, I'm eyeing the Felicia, I am hoping that it will be something that holds up for a few years to come. :) I wish they had it in charcoal gray - if they did, I would snap it right up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the J. Crew Pea coat which fits me perfect. I also like their work wear inspired clothes. But this past summer, I noticed that there was some sizing problems with the shorts. For example, I usually take a 34W but for the rip stop shorts I had to size down to a 32 in one color and a 31 in another. Outside of that problem, I really like the way the shorts were designed with back flap pockets that button. How about doing that with some slim chinos? Hint hint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jcrewdude: I've found that if I stick with the same style cut the fit is uniform. I take a 33w in the classic cut and the straight cut pants, but I wear a 32w in the relaxed ones.

    Your chino idea sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jcrew guy in Canada - thanks for the tip. But I think those Ripstop beach shorts had a quality control problem on the sizing. If you look at the web site's sale section, they are out of sizes 30, 31 and 32.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jcrewdude: I haven't tried any of the ripstop fabric pants or shorts. If they have sold out of 30,31 and 32 it's a good sign that they are running very small.

    Just like the womens' side they are making us feel good with vanity sizing. I'm happy that I still wear a 32 or 33, but if I'm honest I know that it's actually 33 or 34.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the article.
    I couldn't pin it up but it is spot on.
    I'm a big fan of Steve Mcqueen and notice that they've nailed the 60s slimfit.

    They started selling Military Timex watches on NATO straps, Baracuta Harrington Jackets, Rayban clubmaster glasses, Jack Purcell sneakers, Desert boots.
    These are very Mcqueenesque. I've never been into jcrew but this past year, they hit a home-run. The style of clothing, Ive been wearing for 20 years, now Jcrew picked up on it.
    Congratulations for a vision followed through.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)