Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Images of the Tribeca Store

There is an article over at GQ (click here for link) which has some great images of the Tribeca Men's Only store:

Back to school
By Jared Flitn
Photos by Ben Ferrari
August 20, 2008

On trend: J.Crew, whose latest Manhattan store, the brand's first men's shop, pays tribute to classic American workwear. The 935-square-foot outpost is housed in the former digs of Liquor Store Bar, and retains the feel (if not the drunken good times) of its previous incarnation; the bar and bathrooms are intact, and whiskey bottles adorn its dark wood walls. On offer are specialty pieces from J.Crew's men's collection, Thomas Mason shirts, Globe-Trotter luggage, and a selection of vintage items that round out the space's quirky aesthetic (think tie-bars, first-edition books, and vinyl LPs).

Thank Jack Spade cofounder Andy Spade for the look—J.Crew consulted with him to help curate the goods and, apparently, the lifestyle that goes along with them: The new store's sponsoring a series of workshops based on Spade and business partner Anthony Sperduti's forthcoming book, What a Man Should Know (available there on September 1). So what should you know? Chess, wine, and figure-drawing, among other things. It's never too late to learn.

Open tomorrow, J. Crew Tribeca Men's Shop, 235 W. Broadway, NYC, (212) 226-5476


I didn't realize that Jack Spade is assisting J.Crew with their men-only store collection. I think that is fabulous! (I would like to know which famous designer is working with the women's side of fashion! ;) ) I also think it is great that the store will be promoting a "series of workshops" for men (but maybe they should include one on "how to dress" alongside "figure drawing"). I would actually be interested in going to those myself! :)

Update: There are a 6 more photos of the Tribecca store's interior over at UrbanDaddy (click here for link). After looking through the slide show, I actually have a pretty good idea of what the store layout looks like! :)

What are your impressions of the store layout- do you like the bar and how clothes are displayed? What do you think of Jack Spade's involvement with J.Crew's men store? Do you think hosting workshops (about cheese & drawing) at their store is a brilliant marketing idea or a financial bad move?

19 comments:

  1. OOOO Yay I can't wait to see it. We are going tomorrow afternoon after I am done with work... (Lucky SOB who is still in school has the week off)! This makes me really excited. I will make him write review with me so you can all get the man's point of view as well as mine. I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blumre: That is fantastic! I can't wait to hear your experience of going.

    I also really would love a his/her review of the store- I just think that is fabulous take on a review!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is unrelated, but J. Crew is still messing up online orders. I bought 6 items but one of them was "cancelled" by J. Crew [guess they were out of stock or something...however the item was still on the site even several days later (and still is)]. Soooo, looks like things still aren't running perfect yet. Kind of frustrating...this is the second time in a month that I've had part of my ordr cancelled! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous at 9:51 AM: I am sorry to hear about your order- that completely is frustrating! :( It's even worse to see it online for sale- because you don't know if you should re-order it or not. I really do not understand why these issues are still occurring after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I ordered a full price item, it went on sale the next day so JCrew did a price adjustment...HOWEVER, one of the items was not sent in my order and I was charged for it. Now, I am trying to get a credit for it. I don't feel like waiting on the phone for about $15 so I may let it go....crazy I know but my time is worth money too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexis, do you think we could have a weekly "JC Effed Up My Order" post so that the complaints don't infiltrate every other post (I know I'm guilty of this myself!)? I know that we Aficionadas really want to try to keep it positive for the most part, but maybe a designated place for it (like the weekly exchange thread) until things get back to normal. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Reminds me of the Thomas Pink section in the Macy's on State Street. I love displays of ties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silver_lining: Great suggestion! I will make a weekly post on J.Crew Ordering (the good and the bad). I will start that tomorrow- make it a weekly Wednesday thing.

    Molly: I liked how the ties were displayed too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks really cool-can't wait to hear about it...maybe they will do a promo, near me they did a 15% off for about a month when a new shop opened nearby....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Love the bar, love the fireplace. Next time I'm in NYC I'm dragging my DF in there...

    can't wait for the his/hers review blumre!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caw: I couldn't agree with you more- it does look really cool. I would love more of their stores looking that great too. :)

    Kater: I love the bar too! I think it looks so great with the ties and shirts. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the look and layout of the store! It reminds me of the *Old Hollywood* era when there were true *movie stars*, and people actually took pride in their appearance and *dressed* for everything...I would love it to still be that way, instead of the extremely casual way that seems to be the norm now (especially in Florida). Guess that's why I don't care much for blue jeans. ;)

    Blumre...you are so lucky! I'm excited to hear the reviews from you and MMiller. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. FFM, I totally agree! I was just talking with my husband about this the other day - how there's almost nowhere that you absolutely HAVE to dress up anymore. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOH, I would love to shop here for my fiance! I really like the setup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't tell you how encouraged I am with the expanded men's offering. It really started with the Men's catalog which began to appearing late 2007. Based on the chart below J.Crew sees significant upside in building out its menswear offering. Right now menswear only makes up 20% of overall revenue (http://www.wikinvest.com/image/JCG-SalesByCategory.png) – huge upside potential. Also keep in mind that this was a short term lease – which while expensive has little near term financial impact.

    Besides there is nothing more inspiring for a guy then building a men’s store in a former bar - Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thankfully for my bank account this store is too far away. Themed stores like this really work for me. Get me in the store with a good sales associate and I'm putty in their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks similar to most ralph lauren stores..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Molly... it looks just like the Thomas Pink store in San Fran also... gosh.. I know ""vintage" is in but there is no distinction between these stores.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)