Wednesday, January 19, 2011

J.Crew Spotted in People's Style Watch {wake up your wardrobe!}

"Thanks!" to Kate (check out her lovely Moodboard blog), who not only let us know about a few J.Crew items being spotted in the latest issue of People's Style Watch, but also scanned the images for us to view! (Click on the image to see it larger.)

J.Crew's Jenna Lyons and Marissa Web share their advice on the 5 tricks that will wake up your wardrobe. Of course, J.Crew items are scattered throughout the page. The advice includes:
  • Try classics with a twist. "Balance effortlessness with polish. I like an embellished sweater it can have an easy feel and still be special. Wear it with jeans or evening shorts!" Jenna
  • Dress up laid back pieces. "Make your clothes work double-duty. Take a fun, warm weather romper and pair it with a glam necklace and tights." Jenna
  • Take a break from basic black. "A pop of color or even chic gray or camel can switch up your look. Slip on a light lace jacket it works now or later!" Marissa
  • Work casual jewelry. "Jewelry is the easiest thing to help you break out of a rut. Pile on colorful, earthy bracelets. They add personality to what ever you're wearing!" Marissa
  • Go for bold heels. "Try a statement shoe with a medium heel the details are what makes it sexy! We love high heels, but it's important to choose styles you can run around in." Jenna
The advice is solid for the most part (still not convinced the romper is a wise fashion choice) and it is a fun read. What I find super interesting is that J.Crew is pushing for both Ms. Lyons and Ms. Webb in the press.

What are your thoughts on the wardrobe tricks? Do you like the advice shared? Do you enjoy seeing Ms. Lyons and Ms. Webb together? :)

23 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I am thankful that they retired the "Borrowed from the Boys" catchphrase? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love the idea of trading black for grey or throwing on some lace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can someone who is perhaps a little kinder and more patient than Moi explain to these ladies that once you try to look effortless, you are making an effort?

    And I would only wear that warm-weather romper with a glam necklace and tights if I had to dress as an unemployed Apprentice Fool at a Ren Fayre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing this clip from a mag. I always love reading what designs have to say about styling clothes, its so helpful! If you girls want to read more about Jenna Lyons' style tips (and some from Lauren Hutton too) check out a post I did on the two of them from information I compiled from videos, interviews, and the J. Crew site. Enjoy!

    http://rufflesandsequins.blogspot.com/2011/01/style-rules-of-jenna-lyons-lauren.html

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imam exciting to see the items Irl it's hard for me to picture them from magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love their rules, notsomuch these pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WFF, at least you can come up with somewhere to wear the romper, tights and necklace. The only image I got was a little girl trying on mommy's heels and jewelry. The word "romper" makes me shudder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter and I were looking at the Mini Boden catalog last night. They have rompers for little girls. I told her I used to wear those in the 70's when I was her age.

    Now, today, JCrew is suggesting that I wear one as an adult. No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ITA about rompers! Not for adults! Stupid word!

    The lace jacket looks kind of meh on its own, but I think it's kinda great on Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't like the dress featured. It is too short at the top... it comes up too low on her chest. I had the same problem... just ill fitting. Cute in theory, not in practice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No thank-you to the rompers. I loved them when I was like 10.. Now, I think they just look kind of silly on normal people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, rompers are for little girls or skinny teens. There is no way on earth I'm wearing one at this age.

    Also, how many mid-heels does JC have to offer? The last time I checked most heels were 3" and over and a lot of them with platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. those shoes are horrible! yikes jcrew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG I had forgotten that I wore rompers, too. Terry cloth. Thanks for the laughs!

    I'm hoping there are some gems as yet to be uncovered for spring--what I've seen thus far just isn't me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. JCrewCC, I was actually going to say that I liked the shoes! I don't see myself wearing them though, but I like them

    ReplyDelete
  16. No way would I wear a romper and certainly not with tights and a glam necklace. I do love the silk print fabric on the romper though. Could they possibly issue a blouse, cami or dress in that same print?

    A studded sweater - LOL! I am sure some can rock that look and love it but it is soooo trendy I would not even stop to look at the price tag.

    My grandmother has a similar lace jacket so no matter how cute it may be it is not going to end up in my closet. And those shoes actually look painful with the bare laces across the instep.

    Now maybe that suede bag... let's have a closer look!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the print and color of that romper, i hope it comes in a pencil skirt or at least a top, and preferably with sleeves -- ie. NOT a cami (my J Crew camis can start a nation of their own, there are way too many...).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't understand the whole concept of "winterizing" summer clothes. Why would I want to wear shorts, sundresses, rompers, etc. in the winter? It would be understandable if you have nothing else to wear, but I HAVE weather appropriate winter clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. dinster: I was thinking the same thing. Love the color and print of the romper. Hopefully it will be their "it" print of the spring and they'll make several pieces in it. An emerald green pencil skirt? Ooh, to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  20. AppGal, I agree that I would LOVE a pencil skirt in that print. It might even be a full price item for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. math teacher: YES! I totally agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's funny that none of the items featured are available on jcrew.com

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)