Wednesday, January 5, 2011

J.Crew Reveals Anatomy of Ballet Flats


As mentioned in an earlier post (refer to the November 18th "Product Review: Glitter Jacquard Ballet Flats" post), I am really liking the new design of J.Crew's ballet flats (click here to shop online).

The new design is also featured on J.Crew's website, with a new feature called "Anatomy of a Ballet: See why ours are the most well-made, comfortable flats around." The following insights are shared:
  • An interior wedge cushions the heel and ever so slightly elongates the leg- so not only is it extra comfy, it's incredibly flattering too (we call it our secret weapon).
  • An elastic topline hugs your foot just so, keeping them snugly on your feet (no more slipping out of your shoes when walking up stairs).
  • A half shank makes the sole more flexible but still provides exceptional support (two qualities we look for in our best friends too).
  • A shock-absorbing rubber sole means maximum comfort (it easily takes all-day pavement pounding in stride).
I am a big fan of J.Crew's ballet flats, but they have always been uncomfortable to walk around in for long periods of time. (I called them pretty "office shoes", great for sitting at the office.) So I am I really loving the latest updates to J.Crew's Ballet Flats. I even wore the Cece Leather Ballet Flats (Item 32007; $128.00) for a whole day of walking and felt fine.

What are your thoughts on the J.Crew's updates to their Ballet Flats? Have you seen or own any of these new ballet shoes? If so, what is your review of the fit & style? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

8 comments:

  1. I am not that big of a fan of the new J.Crew flats. To me it feels like they are trying to disguise decreased quality as a move toward more comfort. Honestly, the new flats with the rubber soles are WAY too similar to the ballet flats sold at Target. Many of which are leather with synthetic lining and rubber soles. Just like J.Crew.

    I agree that they are more comfortable then previous 2007-2009 flats, like the Salinas for example... BUT...
    every single pair of my older J.Crew shoes from 2006 and earlier are extremely comfortable, flats and heels alike. They all have leather linings and soles and are cut just so. Remember the barcelona flats, I think they were called? SO comfy. Leather lining + quality cut and padding = comfy. But rubber sole + synthetic lining and elastic = cheaper. Which is what J.Crew seems to be all about in their manufacturing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but I do LOVE the look of the Ceces. Saw them in person at the B&M last week... the colors are so lovely. J.Crew always has the BEST colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own the ballet flat in the picture. I have super fussy feet and these shoes are actually very comfortable. Wore them all day at work with no blisters or pain. So happy I got them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think these new ballet flats are way more comfortable than its predecessors. I also like the rubber soles. With the leather soles, I always had to add a sole protector so I would not slide all over the place. Also, after wearing the leather soles for just an hour, the bottoms would look so incredibly used. So I really like this new update.

    Em: I know what you are saying- it probably is a way for J.Crew to save money. I can definitely see that happening considering some of their more-recent quality issues. ;)

    And the Ceces... they are such a cute design! Simple and pretty. And I agree with you about the colors: love them! :)

    P.S. I love your icon image. :) The Flamenco-dot Marguerite dress is the one that "got away". I regret not getting it. :(

    Zoelicious: Congrats on your flats! Isn't it great that your feet didn't hurt! Love that now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of the redesigned flats. I have the bow chain flat and they're cute and comfortable. I also appreciate that the flats seem to be running TTS. I always had to size up and they would slip off a bit. Perhaps that 'elastic topline' they describe is helping in that area. As far as cost, I guess we're paying for the custom made in Italy, of course, which is misleading. Maybe someone sketched them on Italian soil, but they are being put together in China.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexis, that dress is the one that got away for me, too! Darn it. SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much as I love JC ballet flats and I own so many from the past and some newer styles, they have become overpriced for what they really are (lacking leather soles in most styles and rather cheap construction).
    I newer design with the rubber sole remind me of the BR ballet flats which are much lower in price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only have a handful of J.Crew ballet flats because I don't find them very comfortable and my husband hates them. I asked several men how they felt about ballet flats and they all said the same too and here I thought they made me all Audrey Hepburn-ish in men's eyes. :^P

    I won't be buying any of the newly-styled ones since I seldom wear the ones I have from J.Crew, Brooks Brothers and Tory Burch. Maybe it's time to put some things up on ebay.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)