Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Article With J.Crew's Menswear Designer Muytjens

Our guy wants to look good, but he doesn't want to feel self-conscious
By Michael Slenske
October 28, 2008
Click here for article link

Last week J.Crew menswear honcho Todd Snyder announced he was leaving his post to launch his own collection. Expect a smooth transition: His replacement is the brand's senior menswear designer, Frank Muytjens, who has been at the company for four years, and earned his chops at Ralph Lauren, where he started out at RRL and went on to oversee outerwear for Blue Label. We spoke to the Dutch-born 48-year-old to get his take on J.Crew's new direction, its upcoming menswear stores, and whether the financial meltdown will alter his (ahem) designs for the brand.

Now that you've been in the big seat for all of a week, where do you see the menswear collection going?
I think that what we did with the Liquor Store brought us a lot of opportunities to experiment with an elevated product. But it's more about evolving rather than just changing. Men need little steps.

Meaning what?
I don't think guys appreciate or want change. They're set in their ways. The trick is to give them something new without it looking too overly designed. To me it's about fit, color, fabrication, and functional details. It's also about proportions: The perfect collar and lapel on a sport coat, the perfect width of a tie, even the size of a button can make a difference.

How do your designs for J.Crew reflect that philosophy?
We pay a lot of attention to interior details, like silk-tie-fabric pockets in our sport coats, and contrast under collars. Our new topcoat has an amazing newspaper pocket on the inside that we found on a vintage garment. I'm also very excited about the fit of our new Ludlow suit, which we introduced in the Liquor Store. It has a sixties vibe to it, with details like pick stitching, functioning buttonholes, narrow lapels, and a canvas chest piece. It's a bit more fitted and shorter than our regular suit.

So the Liquor Store's become important to J.Crew's identity?
Absolutely. I think that in the Liquor Store we found a new type of customer. I was in there the other day and saw John Slattery from Mad Men. That's not the type of person who normally shops at J.Crew, but after they go to the Liquor Store, they're looking at shopping with us again at our regular stores as well.

You're opening a new menswear-only store in Paramus, New Jersey. Is it going to have the same feel as the Liquor Store?
Not necessarily. It will take some elements, but the Liquor Store was based around the neighborhood. In Paramus, we're in the mall.

What will be different about it?
We can't replicate the Liquor Store for obvious reasons—it's its own little microcosm. But the store in the mall will definitely have a masculine vibe, an easy environment for a guy to shop in. I think a guy needs to be transported to a different world as soon as he enters a store. He needs to be tempted. A store should feel unexpected, familiar, and slightly nostalgic at the same time.

Couldn't the same be said of J.Crew's menswear?
I think we give our customer easy-to-understand garments in a masculine color palette. We're understated, not overly trendy. You can't see the J.Crew guy from a mile away. Our guy wants to look good, but he doesn't want to feel self-conscious. To me, J.Crew has always been about mixing high and low, like wearing a denim work shirt shirt under a tuxedo jacket. I think it's important to personalize your style—don't try too hard, and don't take yourself too seriously. You need a charcoal suit, a pair of wingtips, and a few good dress shirts. A tie bar is cool.

Is the economic downturn making you reassess your design philosophies?
Not at all. You have to be optimistic and go full steam ahead.

Overall, this was an interesting interview! :) I am not sure if I agree with Frank's comment that men don't appreciate change, but that is just me. ;) I am also surprised by how optimistic he is about the economy- however I do like positive thinking during these times! :)

What are your takes on the article? Disagree or agree with any of the points made? Do you think men "need little steps" when it comes to fashion? ;)

8 comments:

  1. I really think the new menswear designer is spot on. The line about a J.Crew customer not wanted to be known as one from a mile away is exactly my mind set. I like to dress well and look good, but without being a walking ad for a company. I really dislike strongly logoed clothing. I much prefer my labels on the inside.

    It sounds like J.Crew's menswear will continue its current direction which totally suits me and my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is off-topic and I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but Michelle Obama wears head-to-toe J. Crew!

    http://www.mrs-o.org/?p=903

    Very cool article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay Krue: I know the comment well well-meaning, but let's not discuss that topic! It has been discussed in great depth in another post- and unfortunately- it turned very negative very quickly. So much so, that I had to shut down the comments. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do men need "little steps"? Depends. Some men are inherently stylish and very fashion forward. Others, like my spouse, stick with the tried and true.

    I think most men know what they like and how they want to look, but some don't see how to coordinate different pieces (probably because no one taught them how to). A store, catering to men, that lays out functional and stylish options is probably welcomed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure about little steps, but there's only so little for us men to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Men need garanimals...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is true that there is only so far you can go with men's retail men's fashion, but it's really nice to know that JCrew is going to continue to look deeper and focus on the shapes, the feel, and the details of their designs. I think they've been a guiding light in that sense, and is refreshing in what can be a tireseome continuation of a long string of norms. I will swear by JCrew because of my desire to not be another staffer in a Macy's suit. Oh, and their clothes fit well, clean well, and incorporate themselves into my wardrobe very easily. Oh yeah, and their designers believe in color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say, while I find the women's line at J. Crew really inspired and different from anything else you can get at the average mall, the men's line doesn't seem special at all. Their fit is particularly problematic - just too loose and untailored. I can rarely ever get anything there for my husband while virtually my entire wardrobe lately has been J. Crew.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)