Monday, October 15, 2012

Product Review: the Ludlow (double down!)

A big "thanks!" to J.Crew Guy In Canada who shared not one, but two great reviews of the Ludlow blazers for us!!!

The first one up is the Ludlow Two-Button Blazer With Center Vent (Item 21509; $388.00). J.Crew Guy In Canada shares the following:
I've been biten by the Ludlow fever.  For several years I've been suit/blazer free making due with shawl collar cardigans, full zip sweaters and the like.  But after many years I decided to take a Ludlow for a spin.

In August I met the Ludlow in store.  True to form he's trim and offered in a variety of fabrics.  After trying on a couple I ended up getting the navy wool one, two button, center vent.  A 40 fit me with only the sleeves needing to come up about half an inch to I can flash some shirt sleeve just like GQ told me to.  The jacket has non functioning buttons on the sleeve and just a little padding in the shoulder.  The shoulder is natural without that saggy, droopy look or the football player version made famous in the ninties.

After adding a pocket square just like GQ, and Esquire told me to I was good to go.  And just like the magainzes said the jacket works well with jeans, chinos and wool dress pants.  The jacket is tailored; not tight or too short, but definitely on trend.  It should last me years and work well both for the corporate world and evenings out.  And many of the women I work with have told me I am definitely on to something with the navy blazer.
The next one up is the Italian Wool Sportcoat in Ludlow fit (Item 99285; $328.00). J.Crew Guy In Canada shares the following:
I loved the navy wool one so much I needed another.  Hello Ludlow in Italian herringbone in olive tweed #99285.  (Aren't all J.Crew's blazers in Italian wool and does any one else spin wool besides the Italians?)  The new guy is just like his navy brother, but with a more Indiana Jones, professor, old man vibe and I mean that in a good way.  The tweed is soft and moves well while maintaining it's grandpa's jacket you got and had tailored up look.  It's perfect.  The fabric is slightly heavier than the navy wool, perfect for fall/winter, while the navy guy can work through the whole year Mr. tweed Ludlow is a fall and winter guy.  Again the details are the same for both with the tweed being fully lined while navy is partially lined.  This tweed number is so sharp with denim and works equally well with chinos or wool pants.

Are they jackets worth just above and just under $400? (I bought the navy with my teacher dsicount of 15% while the tweed was bought with the style25 promo).  Is an Audi worth twice the price of a Chevy?  It all depends on who's paying. They are definitely worth it in my world and I'd pay full pop.   I might just snag the cord one by Christmas.  Well made, great fit and as usual the good

"Thanks!" again to J.Crew Guy In Canada for his fantastic review of these two classic menswear pieces! I also like the nod to Professor Jones in the review too. ;)

What are your thoughts on the Ludlow? Do you own any of the blazers? Have you tried it on at a store? Do you like this style? If so, please share with us your review. :)

17 comments:

  1. How refreshing to see a review for a men's item! I wish I had a guy to shop for, cause I'd be all over the Ludlow and the guy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not own or have seen the Ludlow, but I think Jcrewguy in Canada may want to start a men's blog. I had a lot of fun reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could wear the menswear. It seems much nicer than the women's line. And yes, wonderful reviews by Jcrewguy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review. I've been contemplating the Ludlow in olive tweed for my guy. Ordering today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, he's going to love it. It's soft enough to not have that itchy old school tweed feel; but still have some structure and shape.

      Treat the jacket like a solid colour and it will be easy to match it to shirts and such. It looks amazing with denim.

      Delete
  5. I love those jackets and these were great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for great reviews J Crew Guy-enjoy your jackets! The Ludlow has been a staple for the men in my life for several years now. The fit is very flattering on both hubby and my sons. It wears incredibly well too! Quality is way better than J Crew women's jackets of the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Caille. I wish I could wear some of the mens items I've seen. They are made so much better than the womens' clothing. Great reviews. I may get my husband into a decent jacket yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Rose, j crew guy! I've always enjoyed reading your reviews. I don't know much about menswear, as I've never really spent much time with a guy who was into style (very sad, I know). Thanks for this, it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great review! My husband has the Ludlow in navy linen and it's really nice. He gets lots of use out of it for those warm weather weddings.

    I've bought him a few things and most of it is pretty good but tees and sweaters have developed holes quickly so the quality decline is there too, it's just more hit or miss. The most recent purchase was the
    Wallace and Barnes Shawl Collar Cardigan, which is really nice, even if a bit grandpa-ish. Thick, soft, comfortable and well-made. I think we'll try more of the W&B line now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxo I haven't tried any Wallace and Barnes yet, but the cardigan looks good and I sort of like the nerdy/grandpa thing.

      Delete
  10. Great reviews, I loved reading this - thank you!

    I bought the Ludlow suit in Italian chino for my husband - he wore it to two weddings this past summer, and of course I am biased but I still think he was the best dressed guest on both occasion. The Ludlow is cut slim to the body and is very flattering, which is in contrast to most men's suits, where the jackets are too slouchy and the pants are cut too wide. My only quibble with the Ludlow is that the underside of the suit jacket has the exposed interfacing. In the past, J. Crew used to finish the underside of the collar with silk.

    I also agree, JCrew Guy, you should think about starting a blog. Many of the women here buy for their significant others, but it's hard to find reviews of the JC menswear. I sometimes get my husband to model for my blog but I have to twist his arm a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great review, J.Crew Guy in Canada! I agree with others that say you should start your own J.Crew men's blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super! Thanks for the reviews and please keep writing them. I shop for a little man ( my 7 year old ) but I love men's style and appreciate hearing what's in style. I personally love Jcrew men's > women's , hands down. And yes, I'd pay for a well fitting jacket too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For all the ladies wanting a j crew men's blog feel free to visit mine and give me your critique. Beings its tough to maintain a blog I'm of and on with mine. Let me know what you think.

    Http://onestepaheadinablazer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)