Wednesday, February 23, 2011

J.Crew Email: We love college students & teachers...

"Thanks!" to many of you who shared the following email from J.Crew this morning which reminds us about J.Crew's 15% discount for both students and teachers.

This discount use to apply to sale items, third party items, as well as online purchases at retail and factory stores. However, J.Crew has scaled it back considerably in the past year: (1) applies only to in-store purchases, (2) applies only to regular priced items, (3) can't be used with any other promotion, and (4) not applicable to third-party merchandise.

Even if your personal shoppers knows you are an educator/ student and applied it to online/ phone orders in the past, they will now tell you they can't apply it unless you are in a store for an associate to verify it. This is a hassle, but I am happy that they still offer it at all. :)

Did you receive this email? Were you aware of the changes in the discount's applicability?

9 comments:

  1. OT, but extra 30 and fs $100+
    code ayc93k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not get this email yet. I am so glad I shopped like a crazy woman when you could apply this code to sale items and online. I have a closet full of classic JCrew items from 2007-8 that I coveted and bought:) and can wear for years. Even had a Talbots SA offer to buy several of the pieces she has seen me in if I ever tire of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't see why online orders have to be ineligible. Rugby verifies student discount on line very simply: you give your school email and they send a code for 15% off to you at that address. The code seems to be good for more than one order, but doesn't last forever. Fair enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since they can obviously leave notes on your account, I don't see why they can't leave one regarding these discounts for future purchases if you're verified over the red phone at a B&M. I also left feedback awhile ago that I think all of us who were verified previously should have been *grandfathered* in when they made the decision to not allow it for online orders anymore. It's unfair and not customer friendly at all to keep changing their policies for the worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand the frustration of not being able to use this discount online, but I am really glad you can use the discount on the red phone, I do it all the time and the sales associates are always very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally I don't really see the point in the promo. Why offer it if you are going to continually reduce how you can use it and ultimately make it more difficult for the shopper to get the discount.

    I am neither a student or teacher but if I were I would be hessitant to take advantage b/c of all the restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm actually glad they've scaled back this deal. It's not that I'm insensitive to teachers and college students, but that I'm aware that J Crew isn't absorbing the discounts, they're just passing the extra cost on to all of us in the form of higher prices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have used the discount at the factory store on full and sale prices. Only on full at the regular store, but if it's a t-shirt promo, for ex, they will let me use the discount. They just won't let me use it on marked down items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was in -store today, I was told that they will now apply the 15% teacher discount on sale items! They will not combine with add'l 30% promotion though. Happy shopping fellow teachers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)