Friday, May 15, 2009

Product Review: Chiffon Cascade Jersey Tee

Chiffon Cascade Jersey Tee
Click here for product page
Item 14150
Regular: $48.00

Awhile back, there was a post on the Chiffon Cascade Jersey Tee (refer here). A big "thanks!" to JustVisiting who was kind to share a review, as well as several real life images, of this top for us.

To begin with, viewing this top on JCrew's website makes me want to scream and run. Are you kidding me JCrew? Yet another oh-so-delicate item for me to handwash and worry about snagging on my wedding ring or belt? Heck, forget about snagging the chiffon. If I lean forward on a breezy day, I might catch a butterfly in my newly acquired kanga pocket.

Moving on, I open the clear plastic wrap and delicately pull out the tee. The first surprise about this top is the fact they recommend machine washing it, inside out of course, and tumble dry low. As I pick up the top by the shoulder seams and hold it out in front of me, it looks just as I expected from the website photo; a tee with a piece of chiffon sewn securely to the top seam and to the bottom seam of the tee. The sides of the chiffon are finished but not sewn to the tee...alas! no fraying. The excess chiffon above the top seam and below the bottom seam, about a half inch at each end, is sure to fray as those ends are not sewn.
I slip the tee on and it feels d-i-v-i-n-e!! Soft, silky, substantial feeling, not flimsy like a painter tee. It is fitted but not restrictive, with a flattering neckline. Sooo comfortable. Dreams of wearing this top begin to fade as I look at chiffon that mimicks the look of excess skin hanging on a suddenly slender frame. Why the excess chiffon? Maybe this is supposed to be a look for the super slim bodies. I doubt it.

I cannot believe the designers intended the top to be worn alone, as pictured on the website. Look at it! Not flattering. I decide to put a belt around my waist, tuck it in, untuck it. The best I could do was belt it and layer my Cotton-cashmere ruffle cardigan, item 13504, over it. It kind of reminds me of the Clara. It's going to add weight to the abdomen if the chiffon is not pulled tight to the body.
The top fits TTS. I purchased my usual size small. You could size down but it will not help take up the slack in the chiffon. (Maybe the chiffon required slack to allow for shrinking of the cotton tee.) I like the look of the chiffon layered, tucked and belted.

So do you think you'd purchase this on sale and layer a jacket or cardigan over it? I might when it goes on sale knowing full well it has to be tucked in or belted.


"Thanks!" again to JustVisiting for sharing with us her great review!

What are your thoughts on this tee (after reading a review and seeing some real life images)? Have you seen or tried on this tee? If so, please let us know what you think of it. :)

23 comments:

  1. Fantastic review. I don't think I'll be jumping for that one. I'm trying to imagine who it would actually look good on...there's got to be someone. (and it's not me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way she styled it. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JustVisiting -- Smashing review!

    As far as the top, I cannot type what came out of my mouth when I first saw it. I think it's awful. What were they thinking? The styling definitely saves it. It's not worth it, though. Isn't the belt going to snag the chiffon?

    I notice they didn't release the bright orange Hammer Time cardi w/the mass of sequins going down the front. I can't find that post here. Oh well. I know some of you remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the picures. Really helps "understand" this crazy top. Great job styling but I am not into belting cardigans or tees. May be the current trend but not for me! Looks like the only way to wear this one. Definite pass for me even if it went down to super cheap. I know I would never wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the fantastic review JustVisiting! :)

    I will still pass on this one...I just really do NOT like it at all, even with the different styling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just curious - why would you buy this if you had such a strong negative reaction to it? And how was it a surprise that it was machine washable when it says that it is right in the description?

    ReplyDelete
  7. JustVisiting: I was laughing out loud when I read your catching butterflies with the kanga pouch comment--HA!

    Well, you sure did try to style it in a cute way. The outfit with the cardi/belt actually saves it somewhat, but it is still such an odd tee. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks cute belted + and with a cardigan. Less "butterfly catcher," hehe. The chiffon looks terrible in the first series of pics, though, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting shirt! hopefully nothing happens to the chiffon in the washing machine. love the look belted! thanks for the review! i would have never given that top a second look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just about to say, "It looks like a kangaroo pouch!" when I read your comment about catching butterflies! Too funny! :D

    I liked how you styled it with the cardigan, but if that's the only way I'll be able to wear it, I don't think I can justify the purchase. :(

    Thanks for the review, JustVisiting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mother's of multiples and c-sections does this look familiar?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, thanks! The tee is a big ole' pass, but that cardi looks super dear on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So funny!! What a great review :) It ended up looking really good the way you styled it, I'm impressed! That shirt is definitely a dud on it's own!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the review JustVisiting!

    I like how you styled it with the belt and cardi, good job on this tough piece ;)

    Jodi: Ha! Exactly why this shirt would not make it on my "to buy" list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks super cute on JustVisiting when it is all belted and cardi-ed. But you just shouldn't have to manipulate a tee so much to make it work. J.Crew, what the frak?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Without the belt the shirt is a hot mess. Styling it with a belt made that top look better. But even with the belt, IMHO the chiffon adds an unattractive wrinkly puffiness to the tummy and lower abdomen area. No artificial fupa for me! So, I'll definitely pass.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paper Bag Princess: This is off-topic, but are you a fan of Battlestar Galatica too? (I only asked b/c you used the term 'frak'). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the review!! It looks even more ridiculous in real life. Oh, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for the review justvisiting! wow that is something... i appreciate all your "takes" on it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the awesome review! I would not look good in it, so I will be definitely skipping this one...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hee hee, Alexis, only by osmosis. Hubby is a super fan and I guess I've kind of absorbed it!

    (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paper Bag Princess: LOL! My husband is a super fan too! (I am just a regular fan of the series). ;)

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)