Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Behind the Scenes With Madewell

As mentioned in a previous post ("Madewell Email: Denim Tour w/ Lucky hits stores"), Madewell is guest blogging over at Lucky Magazine. The following (or click here) is one of those posts! :)

Behind the Scenes With Madewell's Head Designer
by Lucky Staffers

September 29 2009

Meet Kin Ying Lee, our head designer. She's the one who tirelessly dreams up each season's focus and inspiration while somehow always keeping us fiercely grounded in our vintage workwear roots. Not to mention she always looks effortlessly cool at the office and, no matter how busy or stressful her days can be, never raises her charming British accent above a soft, whispery lilt. Oh yeah, she's also a mother of two adorable toddlers too. Here, what she's feeling for fall...

Q: What were you inspired by this season?
I envisioned an American girl enjoying the most perfect day in Paris, and being totally inspired by her surroundings. She's digging the cool, intuitive way French women dress--how they can just toss something on and look amazing--but she's also really loving what the guys are wearing as well: their dapper, tailored pieces. So one way I translated this aesthetic was into is our Midnight Blazer ... a sleek, super-slim-sleeved tux-style blazer made of a soft, stretchy felted wool. It's a very boy-meets-girl piece...that leans more towards the girl.

Q: What were you listening to, reading, and watching while you designed?
The usual suspects like Francoise Hardy and Serge Gainsbourg. I especially loved Serge's album Comic Strip--so poppy and hilarious and French. The Bernardo Bertolucci film The Dreamers spoke to me as well, since it's about an American living in Paris. Plus it was set in the late '60s, such a great era for fashion. I like the idea of the lead character having all of these totally French experiences while wearing all-American blue jeans. Lou Dillon also has great street style... she was definitely an inspiration.

Q: Can you give us a hint what you're into for spring?
Powdery, dusty washes and an overall softer denim palette with a vintage look and feel. I'm also excited for some new shapes in denim: styles that mix this season's slouchy boyfriend look with a more tailored mood. They're definitely innovative and fresh, yet totally Madewell.

I love the concept of the American-girl-on-holiday-in-Paris theme. However, I am not sure if I got that vibe from the looks over at Madewell. I also really (really really) hated the film "The Dreamers" (which Lee references as inspiration), so maybe that is clouding my opinion at this time. ;)

Have you been to J.Crew's sister store, Madewell, recently? What do you think of the latest arrivals? Does it remind you of an American girl in Paris? :)

5 comments:

  1. I suppose it could be that I have really strong opinions when it comes to the Madewell "style" - but gosh, I sure hope the French don't really dress that way! The über-slouchy "I just rolled out of bed and into the local Goodwill shop" look just is so NOT CHIC. Every email I get from Madewell just looks more and more like someone was sifting through the garbage picking out the worst fashion ideas they could find. YUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 18 yo daughter and I actually really love Madewell. Of course, she buy much more there than I do but I love their scarves and boots and inexpensive layering tees. I also have three pairs of jeans from Madewell and they are favorites alongside my JC bootcut jeans! Their styling is definitely geared to a young mindset, but I think there are pieces that work for everyone. My 74 yo mother likes to shop there, too! It doesn't hurt that the Austin Madewell is just several doors down from the JC in the Domain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it that they don't have a full on-line shop and/or catalog? There's not a store near me, but I'm curious to see what they offer. But all that's on-line is a few select pieces that seem very 1990s Seattle grunge (jeans, tank, flannel) to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted to love Madewell but of the many things I've bought from them, I've ended up getting rid of 90% because of quality and fit! I find their jeans to be low rise which doesn't work for me. The only thing I like from them are their cotton tees.

    And no, I don't believe the French dress this way either :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Madewell jeans; they fit me perfectly. And the tees and scarves can be nice.

    I wish they'd get their act together about online shopping though. They've been saying for the past two years the online store is "coming soon" and nothing happens. It's annoying.

    About the French: in my opinion, young French women definitely dress like this. Not as much color -- mostly black and neutrals, although you do see more color if you go outside of Paris. And not a lot of prints and definitely no plaid. But the under 30 crowd in France is definitely working the rolled-out-of-bed, unfinished seams look.

    It's older women who tend to look more pulled together and more chic (as opposed to stylish/trendy). The chic-est women in France, imo, are often women would are probably grandmothers.

    The heavy use of scarves in the styling is very French. I know it's cliche, but really, practically every Frenchwoman will wear a scarf unless it's really, really hot outside. And even then she may well have one in her bag in case a building has air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)