Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Questionable Item of the Week: Mounted Antlers Jersey Union Suit

Mounted antlers jersey union suit
Click here for product page
Item 99841
Regular: $69.50

A big "thanks!" to Jeff who pointed out this little number that J.Crew is offering. At first, I was going to use it for a "Love It or Leave It" post, but upon closer look I thought it was better "suited" for the "Questionable Item of the Week".

Where to begin... ;) First, I totally agree with Jeff's comment of "I especially like the model's pose in the first pic. It's as if he was wearing a suit or something." It's true! The model (shown in the image to the left) is striking such a serious pose. The pose would be fine if he was wearing a regular three-piece suit, but not so much for pajamas that have antlers all over. ;)

Second, I am totally not loving the close up of the behind. The image (shown to the right) is unflattering. For some reason, I find the description of "button placket" super un-sexy too.

Third, of course the pajamas "wards off the chill on cold winter nights", since a guy is most likely to wear these comfortably around the home when he is alone. ;) (In all fairness, I have clothes I wear around the house, like sweatpants, that I would not be caught dead with in public.)

Fourth, I think that price of $69.50 seems a bit high for some pajamas with a "festive hunting lodge antler print". When I showed this item to my husband and asked if he would buy let alone wear it, he laughed, said "c'mon", and walked away laughing some more.

I should quickly add that I do think the pajamas would look a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e on any one of the {super cute} boys featured in J.Crew's Crewcuts catalog. But on a grown man... not so much. ;)

What are your thoughts on the union suit for men? Do you think I am being overly critical? Would you buy this or leave it at the store? Have you see this first hand, and if so, what are your impressions? Do you think this would make an excellent gift for the holidays? ;)

20 comments:

  1. OMG! These are hilarious. I would not buy these at Target for $19.99 and never $69! Hee hee, my husband would not be happy to wear these or see the pricetag. Perfect questionable item
    Twiga

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are funny & I love the model's pose. I think a $69.50 price tag makes them even quirkier. It's a pass for my DH, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bought the ladies snowflake ones! i buy them every year! guilty as charged! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ridiculous, but adorable! I especially love the "festive" pattern :)

    Although the price is a bit too high...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious post Alexis. Gave me a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't get these, but I do love the polka dot pyjamas pants for women! I am a sucker for a polka dot pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like the "flush" button on his pants failed to work....oh j.crew, is your plumber a failure too these days?

    ReplyDelete
  8. AAAAAH!!!!!!! I have a nomination for a Questionable Item of the Week.. The Gstaad shearling jacket. $3000 for that ugly mess?? Jcrew's designers are batshit crazy.

    http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/Women/PRD~10615/10615.jsp

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm.. Link doesn't show.. It's item 10615.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to buy those union suits! haha Too bad our store didn't get them :(

    I have to go to another store and just get mine there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, Alexis! These are defintely a *no go* for my DH, but would be adorable in a *mini-version* for my little boys (at a much, much lower price, of course). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, my boyfriend thought these were ridiculous, but I would get the female version b/c I think they're quirky and cute, nice for lounging xmas morning perhaps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This will be my 5th Holiday working at J. Crew. We have the union suits every year. They've generally ended up in the sale rack. But, last year the men's and women's sold out in my store before they were marked down!

    p.s. The women's patterns are really cute this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love your satire. oh my... even if my husband would wear them, i don't think i'd let him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't stop laughing at this. I think the sight of my boyfriend in it could keep me giggling all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband has been begging for these (the plain color ones) for the past three Christmas'!!! (I keep hoping it is a joke...I think it is:) I refuse to get them. I think the sight of a 6'1 225 lb man in these would be the best birth control ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with anon at 9:09 - I am an associate and we sell out of these every single year before they are marked down.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd like to see a Festivus Union Suit. Now that's somthin' I'd wear!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If these had feet, my husband would be all over them. I'm so glad they don't!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just bought the plain red union suit for about $42 today as they were on markdown and in combination with my student discount. I'm all over it and will be happy to wear it this winter when I'm lounging around at home. Heck, I may even use it as a base layer when I go snowboarding later this month. Just don't take yourself too seriously and have fun with something that is comfortable, practical, and functional.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)