Thursday, March 11, 2010

Spring's Best, Most Wearable Trends: J.Crew's Utility Jacket Makes the List!

A big "thanks!" to Lyssa who shared with us the following Spring trend over at Oprah (click here), that features our retail favorite, J.Crew!
Spring's Best, Most Wearable Trends
The most discerning eyes in fashion—from retailers to editors to the designers themselves—unveil six new spring pieces with staying power.

From O, The Oprah Magazine

February 18, 2010


The Utility Jacket

Safari meets military in this classic that can anchor anything from jeans to a party dress.


"Borrowed from the boys" is the mantra for spring, says Jenna Lyons, creative director, J.Crew, seated, citing the rumpled, offhand charm of a casual jacket (on model, $110). Feminine clothes, she explains, seem fresher spiked with masculine elements—an oxford shoe, a big watch, a long cardigan ($70). And menswear fabrics are a fine balance for delicate shades and girly details like sequins (minidress, $495). Unexpected combinations are key: "The other night I wore an army green utility jacket to a black-tie event with a white tweed dress and tons of jewels," Lyons recounts. "I got a lot of compliments."
Honestly, the "borrowed from the boys" line really is the mantra for this Spring at J.Crew! Almost everything I read mentions that tag line. I have a feeling by the end of Spring, I will be really tired of hearing it. ;) In regards to the Utility Jacket being a Spring trend, I definitely agree. I have already seen a lot of retailers (in addition to J.Crew) carrying a version of it.

Lastly, how fabulous does everyone in Jenna's office look!?! Work it ladies! :)

What are your thoughts on the Spring trend of J.Crew's Utility Jacket? What would make your list of Spring's Latest Trends?

19 comments:

  1. If I hear that mantra one more time I'm going to bury my face in gingham shirts and parkas until I fall unconscious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the JCrew utility jacket, as well as the Lands' End Canvas version, but wearing it to a black tie event is really tacky IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alot of stores are selling a version of this jacket, Banana Republic, Old Navy, even Eddie Bauer, so it is not unique to JC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon- That was great!!! :) I actually laughed out loud. Too funny! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne: I actually just ordered LE Canvas' version yesterday. I am hoping I will like it. I thought the same thing about Jenna wearing hers to a black tie event- tacky for me to do, but probably looked amazingly wonderful on Jenna. :)

    Casual Crew: I agree with you, lots of retailers are offering this look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nordstrom is carrying an almost identical version of the Downtown Field jacket in cotton form, for those who missed out. I think it comes in black, green, white, and light pink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexis, I wanted to order the LE Canvas jacket in the tan color, but I need a M or L and there's nothing left but XXS.

    Yes, I suspect Jenna's black tie events don't consist of a sea of bankers in business suits like mine do. If I showed up in a utility jacket, I doubt they'd let me in the door. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine Jenna's outfit being very striking. A white dress w/a green utility jacket would be quite refreshing & unique. That said, she is as tall or taller than a model and an industry celebrity so she could get away with it and gain compliments in the process. You won't see me doing it and even if I were tall I probably wouldn't try it. Maybe J Crew ordered a lot that jacket & want to make sure they sell out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Momoberry - do you have an item number or name I can search on? I love to check that one out.

    I love the red-pink color of the new JC one, and I also liked the lieutenant jacket in the beige color. Jeanne - I too was looking at the Canvas one too. Sizes do pop back so keep checking. It's hard for me to tell how short the LE one is though, it might be shorter than what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dear, i am tired of the boyfriend look already, it doesn't flatter me, i think i'm too curvy for it.

    but it looks like it is here to stay!! it sure does look cute on jenna though!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ordered the LE Canvas Utility jacket as well--with the 25% off plus free ship coupon it came to about $50. Can't wait to get it! I also have the JC downtown field jacket from the fall and ordered the black blossoms blazer w/ the 30% off the FS, so I should be all set with the utility jacket look for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to like the solid lieutenant jacket. I need a spring jacket and it's freezing where I work so one I could throw on inside once in a while would be great. I'm fair and thought the beechwood color washed me out a little. I'm not sure if I like the dark slate and the LE one looks a little short on the web site. I'd love to hear a review when someone gets it. Any other blonds having luck with the warm beechwood color?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm skeptical of boy-fit gear. I like the slouchy look but it just never seems to translate in real life. Or maybe just not in MY real life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah, and phrases like 'borrowed from the boys' are why I never, ever read item descriptions!

    (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eh, not my thing. I prefer ruffles and sequins and lace and other girly sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When a trend like this makes it's way to every retailer, I have a *very* hard time resisting. I have to constantly remind myself that while it looks cute on others, it's a no- no for me...between my short cropped hair and lack of make-up (save for the occasional lip gloss), a "boy-look" puts me one step closer to being called "Sir" (which has happened!)...

    I will say that I do love the idea of Utility "Anything"..jackets, cargos, etc. I am constantly holding onto tiny treasures for my kids and the plethora of pockets really help!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the jacket! And while borrowed from the boys is getting old the concept is so great-and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. crewcrazy, check out M&O's airfield jacket. It's longer than the LE utility jacket but not as long as slouchy as JC's utility jacket--may be a good alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quick question: I bought the factory lne one online and I'm wondering if it should be form fitting or loser? I'm from Canada, so it's annoying to now return it.. It fits me ok, but I wonder if it should be more shapely. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)