Friday, March 26, 2010

J.Crew News: J.Crew + Fenton-Fallen

Over at J.Crew's Facebook page (click here), they shared with us an article from the latest issue of Harper’s Bazaar magazine. According to J.Crew:
Our latest jewelry collaboration with Fenton/Fallon made Harper’s Bazaar’s top 10 “hottest, newest, latest” obsessions.
The article itself shares the following:
Cool Crew: J.Crew and Fenton-Fallon collaborate on a punk-meets-polished jewelry line
By Anne Monoky

April 2010


Like a page out of a romance novel, the proverbial love affair between J.Crew creative director Jenna Lyons and Fenton-Fallon designer Dana Lorenz ignited when the two were seated next to each other at a dinner party. "We couldn't stop talking," Lyons explains. Well, one thing led to another, and a jewelry collaboration was conceived. And the rest, as they say, is fashion history.


The seven-piece limited-edition collection of chunky statement necklaces and bracelets, called Fenton-Fallon for J.Crew, debuts this April. The reworked industrial metal pieces, which range in price from $95 to $295, lend a hip tough-chic appeal to the brand best known for its pitch-perfect staples. Lorenz elaborates on the project: "I didn't water my design down at all. I included all my iconic Fenton-Fallon things, like the pyramid studs, spikes, and jumbled chains." Providing that at the end of the day, opposites really do attract.
The collaboration between Fenton-Fallen & J.Crew (click here to shop the collection online) has been going on for awhile. (Refer to the December 29th "Sneak Peek: J.Crew's Crystal Box Necklaces" post.) Although, more pieces became available yesterday with the new arrivals. Apparently everyone loves this latest partnership. Take for example, a post over at NBC New York's The Thread ("We're Loving: Fenton/Fallon for J. Crew"), where the author is smitten with this new line.

Frankly, me don't likey ...at all! Am I alone in feeling that the pieces are über-expensive for metal (not even a bit of real gold or silver in there)? As for the style, they are definitely "of-the-moment" costume jewelry. I am all for costume jewelry, and I very much like the "tough but chic" look, but not the tangled metal mess I see. Do not even get me started at the prices for this line.

I am thinking that this new line isn't so much about mainstream profits, as it is to create buzz with the insiders of the fashion industry. Similar to the production of the sequin dress discussed in another article (refer to Tuesday's "J.Crew’s Jenna Lyons Talks" post). But maybe, I am in the minority on this.

What are your thoughts for the Fenton-Fallon for J.Crew line? Do you like the pieces in the collection? Do you think the prices are a good value for customers?

Quick Poll: Do you like the Fenton/Fallon™ for J.Crew collection?

9 comments:

  1. I am not liking any jewelry pieces this season besides the Martha and Colletto necklaces. Not only are they very expensive they don't have the heirloom quality from previous seasons. Maybe it's the whole trend but I'm not really feeling it for the mixed metals, fraying ribbons and such. Like you said Heidi, I'll be saving some $$ too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO the entire collection is absolutely hideous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to go against the grain and say I love it. Alexis, I think you're right on saying that the collection is overly $$$ for (not so precious) metal but I love the dueling tough/delicate aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen so many variations on this industrial chain look at every price point, and swear to god you cannot tell the $ from the $$$$$. Forever 21, Club Monaco, H&M, JCrew...they all look the same. Why invest so much in a trend that will be over in a few months?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. Mixed reaction on my part.

    I can see the tassel necklace as a fishing lure or dangling in my soup bowl while I'm trying to demonstrate my supreme intellect.

    However....I love the bracelet.

    And I was going to post to find out if anyone knew the name of the necklace with the flat, black oval-shaped pieces that is in fact part of the Carrington Centre fringe necklace. That strand on it's own would be elegant and understated - somewhat contradictory to the whole concept of the line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this stuff! But I can get almost the same look (minus the spikes) at Banana Republic for less than $100.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really don't like this line, but having said that I agree with Clicquot. If you like this look, its very affordable elsewhere. I wouldn't pay the J. Crew prices. I don't think this is jewelry that will be wearable for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The collection is hideous and entirely too chunky for my petite frame. Secondly, where would I EVER wear this “piece” – the office? HA! Perhaps if I worked for the Metallica and not the Joint Staff. What happened to my percious J.Crew of 2004. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Sally O. You can find similar pieces at better prices at Banana Republic.

    J Crew is still trying to find its balance between leading and following. They should lead with exciting new offerings. But they should listen to what long-time customers are saying or lose them to Ann Taylor and Talbots

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)