Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An Aficionada Reviews Madewell's SoHo Store

A big "thanks!" to Lesley who was kind to share with us her review of J.Crew's sister store, Madewell, at the SoHo location. The following is her review:

The flagship Madewell store in SoHo is uniquely different than their other retail outlets. In February when I went to visit, there is a noticeable difference in its décor, I felt as if I were sneaking into one of the Madewell girl’s summer share at the shore. The store is very Rachel Ashwell “shabby chic”: white washed exposed brick walls, hardwood floors, shuttered windows and wooden shelving units. It was very reminiscent of a Baltimore or D.C. row house. Adding flourishes of color throughout the store were budding tree branches, books, and containers holding footwear, purses and scarves artfully placed throughout the store. Scarves were a major design feature: they were on the walls, in bowls and on the salespeople. It appears a carefully tied scarf is part of the Madewell uniform.

The denim bar: a wooden table with piles of jeans on it in every wash and fit was the main attraction for me. I was in search of a great pair of straight or skinny gray jeans (my personal current obsession). Initially I expected to wear a 31 or maybe a 30. I was surprised when the salesperson suggested I go down to a size 29 in the Rail Straight fit. She advised me that the jeans would stretch as I wore them and that the fit of the 29s was better in the waist in the back. She was right these jeans fit very nicely; they are straight without any taper. I also tried on the Skinny Low which is truly skinny; it has a low rise and tapers tightly to the ankle. This is an ideal fit for someone with a straight shape who wants that long lean look. I am curvy and athletic and they barely got over my calves.


Several winter items were on clearance: boots, grandpa sweaters, tunic sweaters, and scarves. Additionally, spring items were also on sale including tank tops, t-shirts, and sweaters. I noticed several similarities between J.Crew’s and Madewell’s spring collection: the cardigan sweater, belts, and sneakers. Madewell has several bright colored patent leather belts that are similar to the Patent Leather Skinny Belt and then a brown leather belt that is similar to the Roughed Out Leather Belt also. A canvas sneaker, the Bensimon (French canvas sneakers) is featured there just as J.Crew features the Jack Purcell distressed and broken in chino sneakers. There were flip flops in buckets which is similar to the way J.Crew store, stages their stores.


The Madewell flagship décor is fresh and down to earth; you can comfortably shop and easily envision how you would wear their clothes. Unfortunately online shopping is still delayed and hopefully will also be available soon. On my last visit to a Madewell store I was told they did not know when the online shopping would start.

Lesley also shared an image (shown on the left) & the following:
The Soft Satchel in pink which was featured in a February email
[refer here] by Madewell. I have not seen it in pink at my local store.

"Thanks!" again to Lesley for her amazing & wonderfully detailed review! I visited one of Madewell's stores in California and was not impressed. As a result, I didn't feel the need to visit another one. However, after reading Lesley's review, I am definitely going to check out the SoHo location when I visit NYC over the summer. :)

Have you visited the Madewell SoHo location? If so, what are your thoughts?

14 comments:

  1. Great review! I just went to the Madewell store in Soho last week on a trip to NYC and posted 4 of the pics I took here. It wasn't really my style (I like J. Crew a lot more) but the store was really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review. I just want to add that the dressing room . . . isn't a room at all. Just cubicles along the walls of the store with a shaggy curtain in front of each one of them. Oh, & they don't cover the entire cubicle either. *snicker snicker*

    ReplyDelete
  4. OT - sale section is no longer final sale, it's now spring sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OT...But a new Jcrew store is coming to Malibu, CA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness--final sale is over. I refuse to buy final sale and now I can shop again. JCrew lost a lot of business from me but lots of other cute clothes out there. I am glad I expanded my horizons and bought elsewhere for a change and broke my addiction. Final sale is just ludicrous considering some of the high prices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ^ I agree with you, I also broke my addiction and found nice alternatives to J Crew, my pocket book is thanking me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, I would love to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff good call I forgot to mention in my review that the fitting rooms are like a shower stall. I Madewell is really reminicisent of J. Crew's casual stuff. Basically a lot of the same J. Crew clothing in brigher colors.

    This was posted on Facebook yesterday :
    Madewell is having a sale: Take an extra 25% off all sale items. For a limited time only. Find a store near you: http://tinyurl.com/dmw78n

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living in NYC, I will definitively go and have a look. Before reading this blog, I had never heard of Madewell (I didn't even know that they opened a store in Soho), but it looks like they target students/young people, so maybe not for me. However, since I'm looking for a spring scarf (but don't want to pay the Jcrew price) and Lesley mentionned that they had plenty (I hope that they also sell them!) I will go and check out their tees and other basics I while I'm there. You never know...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh I still have yet to visit Madewell! From what I hear it will be overpriced but I'd still like to go check it out! I'm beginning to wonder if they will ever make an e-commerce site...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm planning to go on Friday so it's good to hear they're having an extra 25% off sale. Madewell has awesome sales but I guess that makes up for the majority of their items being overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey lesley just as a size guide reference, what size jeans do you normally wear at j.crew? do you think madewell jeans are tighter or about the same as j.crew jeans? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In bootcut J. Crew jeans or corduroys I wear a size 10 or 31. Madewell jeans are tighter but they stretch and they are lighter. The way the Madewell salesperson was doing the sizing for me was based upon my waist and the area between the lower back and the butt where you jeans can gap.I love my jeans they were worth the money and I used that Facebook coupon that was out in February. Also they were not too low either.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)