Thursday, April 25, 2013

JGIC Product Review: Ahoy Matey

A big "thanks!" to J.Crew Guy In Canada who is graciously reviewing Men's items from J.Crew with us.
Yeah a cheesey title, but I'm channeling the nautical vibe and my take on it by our friends over at J.Crew.

Ever since it's beginning J.Crew has nodded towards its preppy/east coast influences.  Some of it's offering in this vein are much more successful than others.  Case in point the fleece toggle cardigan #86524.  The colour is great, and I love me some fleece; but what's up with the rope and toggle closures?  To my eye they totally over power the fleece and make it look over designed and almost costume like.  The heavyweight shawl-collar pullover in stripe #99119 in navy is far more successful, stylish and just plain real.  Easy to wear with a tee, a rumpled oxford or even alone.  Wear it with denim, chinos or shorts.  As I'm no fan of white denim I'd skip that choice when styling the pullover.

The 9" Staton short in striped linen #82734 in seaside stripe is one of those 'this could end badly' items.  Not having seen it in person makes it tough to judge.  It could be wonderful, but as we know horizontal stripes are not always kind.  Would you wear stripes that could possibly make your butt look bigger?  Honey do these shorts make my butt look big?  That must be the most dangerous question of all time.

Having been there the first time I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on deck shoes.  But if you like them Sperry is the way to go.  Why not try the 2-eye in orange natural navy?  Go big or go home eh?  They'll get you noticed that's for sure.  The Quoddy leather canoe shoes in dark brown chromexce #90361 are a much more interesting option.  Yeah I know almost $300 once you add the tax, but a true moccasin, hand sewn and in beautiful chromexce leather.  Bet they feel like 'budder'  (can't you just hear Mike Myers saying it?)

While I do like the preppy look, like drinking it best done in moderation.  Agreed?
.
Another fantastic review! "Thanks!" again to J.Crew Guy In Canada for his take on the nautical look for Men.
 
What are your thoughts on J.Crew's nautical-inspired offerings? Is there an item that helps you rock that boat-side look? If so, please share with us your take. :)

7 comments:

  1. I can't find the first item (fleece toggle cardigan #86524) online, but I'm curious what it is. I like the preppy look too but I agree it's best in moderation or it can get too costume-y. I like that look in the picture above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cate I looked for the fleece toggle cardigan and it's gone. I can't imagine it selling out from the time I wrote the review until it was posted. Maybe it's postponed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is odd. Sometimes things disappear from the web site, maybe there are some things they don't want to be part of a 25/30% off sale, but this item doesn't seem like something they would hold back from a promotion.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree; in fact I think this item would benefit from being on promo.

      Delete
  3. I have the staton short. I rarely wear shorts but these spoke to me. They are soft and comfy and feel more like a brushed cotton or chamois than linen. Dont let the stripes deter you coming from a former pear shaped fatty i took the plunge and am happy with the result plus they are marked down and with a 25/30% promo you will be happy you took the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for the shorts and they're MIA. Wonder what's going on.

      Delete
    2. ???? Was just in a store today here in the states not the store where i purchased the shorts and they were still available on sale $49.99 plus 25%. Good luck & btw keep the mens opinions coming. I love jcrew but there are no male opinions/reviews/blogs that i can find..

      Delete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)