Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Madewell Email: Shop it first: Alexa Chung for Madewell tee (+ free shipping)

"Thanks!" to IRL who shared the following email from Madewell today.

The email announces that Alexa Chung's newest Collection will arrive September 22, 2011. The email also showcases the very first piece: the Alexa Chung for Madewell I'm Serious Tee (Item 53014; $50.00). They carefully describe it as:
We couldn't wait to see what our favorite style icon turned fashion designer would pull out of her hat for her latest Madewell collection. Once again, she's created an inspired lineup of covetable-cool pieces, like this destined-to-be-a-favorite tee, silk-screened with a drawing plucked straight from the pages of Alexa's sketchbook.
I know the item is called "I'm Serious", but are they kidding me? FIFTY DOLLARS!?! Fifty dollars for an ill-drawn cotton jersey tee?! Are the proceeds going to some charity that I don't know about? I rather buy a Hanes Tee and take a Sharpie Permanent Marker to it. It will cost $45 less, achieve the same look, and I have an extra 2 tees in case something goes wrong. Seriously though, this tee will probably be sold out after one day or something.

What are your thoughts on the "I'm Serious" tee? Am I being overly critical? Are you a fan of the Alexa Chung for Madewell line?

18 comments:

  1. I don't comment much...but you made me laugh! I totally agree! People will buy it just because it is from the Alexa Chung collection. Even in this economy so many people are still caught up on brand names, logos and designers. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love an expensive shoe (hello Miu Miu Glitter booties) a great handbag and or course J. Crew, but I can't afford it at full price. And even if I could, how does one justify (at least to myself) spending $800 on shoes or even $50 for an "ill-drawn cotton jersey tee"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Har! I used to do the same thing in high-school to my tees. Being a rebel and all.....(I used to also add food coloring to nail polish to create funky colors, too) so maybe I was just ahead of the curve? Seriously (ha!) I agree. Asking $50 is asking $48 too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia: LOL! At least I wasn't the only one shocked at that price tag for such a tee. I just don't get this tee... at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. egyptomaniac: Your "Asking $50 is asking $48 too much" line is SO TRUE!!! I agree, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the girl on the tee looks so sad. we called people who looked like that "mood buckets" in High School-LOL! Maybe it's hip to be moody ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pathos: OMG- I thought the same thing- that the girl looked too sad. It reminded me of Rachel Dratch's Debbie Downer character from SNL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The girl wearing the tee looks also sad (and messy). Why would I want to buy that? Not inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll pass on the tee, but I am looking forward to at least seeing the collection. A few of the outfits are on Facebook in a lookbook and a couple of items were featured in an article about Alexa in September's InStyle. Some of the items look cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the entire lookbook by Alexa today, I have to say I am really really disappointed. I love her last collection a lot, the cute tee, the polka dot dress, the coat...but this year, those pajama pants and tops are just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alexis

    Thanks for the laugh!
    I'll tell you what, if you draw a picture & sign your name on the Hanes Tee, I promise I'll buy one from you for...$10 bucks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why don't you have a JCA design your own tee shirt contest? We can all wear them out and be able to spot each other!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MJ: I think that idea is actually pretty brilliant. The designs would be infinitely better too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol @ MJ...and we'll wear our critter pins on them (slaps knee)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you posted this because when I got the e-mail yesterday, I thought, "Well that is a BIZARRE t-shirt!" I didn't even look that it was $50. . .big pass!

    In fact, I think I will likely pass on the entire Alexa collection. I got a cute blouse from the last one, but I kind of felt that it was a bit overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am very excited to report that Madewell will be opening a new location in Cincinnati's Kenwood Towne Centre come November 2011! Dream come true!

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)