Thursday, April 8, 2010

Product Review: Ripstop Cargo Pant

Ripstop Cargo Pant
Click here for product page
Item 19952
Regular: $79.50
Now: $39.99

J.Crew describes these back-to-basics pants as the following:
One of our designers' favorite pants of the season, a new supersoft cargo in authentic cotton ripstop fabric that's been garment-dyed and washed for over 300 minutes to get the most broken-in shades (we love how the color changes in the puckered seams). The ultra-flattering fit is amped up with boyish details—we're pairing ours with a feminine blouse and heels for a fabulous look. Drawstring waist with zip fly. Slant pockets, back patch pockets with flaps, patch cargo pockets with flaps.
Did you catch all of J.Crew's favorite catch phrases in the description like the "designer's favorite ... of the season", "boyish details", and "pairing with feminine ... and heels". LOL! But I digress...

A big "thanks!" to Belle de Jour who shared the following review:
I purchased these in the safari colour featured on Molly in the March Catalogue. I ordered my usual size 6. I am looking for something to replace my chinos which seem dated (chinos are what J Crew was built on, lol) and don't fit very well.

The pants appear to be slightly baggy on Molly. Well, I must say I could pull them on without even undoing the top button. The fabric is lighter than my old chinos but I can't compare it to any of the new fabrics. It certainly is a great weight for cooler summer evenings, though not as breathable as linen.

The pockets on the thighs add volume and don't compact. You may want to keep this in mind if you are concerned about your thighs.

When I called to make an exchange, I asked for detailed measurements. The size 4 didn't take enough off to make up for how big they are. In the end, I went with a size 2! Yes, 2 whole sizes smaller. I was anxious that I'd made the wrong choice, but no problem. They are a better fit in the leg, and won't fall down. In fact, they fit perfectly. My only hesitation is they are too casual (mind you they can't compare to the un-sweatpant). My comment is a reflection of the number pockets and the drawstring.

I am interested in the Delancey's (Item 22735; $85.00, now $49.99), but I'm not a camo girl. I like the clean legs. Overall, I'd say the Ripstop's are going back, and I'll replace my chinos with Minnie's.
"Thanks!" again to Belle de Jour for her great review of these pants!

What are your thoughts on the Ripstop Cargo Pant? Have you seen or own these pants? If so, what is your review of the fabric & cut? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

18 comments:

  1. Belle--I had the same experience. I went down a full size and bought a second pair two sizes down. (I actually will wear them with heels on the two days of the year I wear heels.) I LOVE my Delancey pants--the most flattering casual pant I have. They also run sort of big though so I would order two and see which one is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, regarding the Delancey. I am not a camo person either but it is so hard to find a plain, narrow stovepipe fit. Everything fits like a leotard or harem pants so I called them and asked if they might have plans to make them in a different fabric. They said not yet... I figured I was the only one who liked them but worth a try and they were nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review.

    The Safari Pant #27099 is running big too based on the measurements I received from CS, has anyone seen them IRL?.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought them in my reg sz 4 and they fit just fine. I know I would not be able to go down to 2 as they would not fit the hips. On a contrats, boyfriend chinos are sz 2 fro me. I am hourglass shaped-don't know if that would male a difference. Here is the link to my IRL pics of it:
    http://jcrewchick.blogspot.com/2010/01/polyvore-to-real-life-cargo-and-stripes.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Delancey pant too. Very flattering - a slightly higher waist than the really low pants and I think the back pockets really do a girl a favor back there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think "ultra-flattering fit" is an accurate description of these baggy pants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just got an email that says Final Sale will be ending on 4/13/10 - woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought these cargos in my regular size 2 in the gray color and they fit perfectly...maybe only the green ones are running large?
    (I know that doesn't make sense)
    Also, they were only $19.99 at my B&M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went down a size on this pair and I bought both the gray and khaki version. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slastena, in your blog photo I believe you are wearing an earlier version of the cargos, the ones with a single, flat pocket on each leg. I have those as well and they fit me TTS. Definitely could not have gone down 2 sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the ripstop cargos!! I bought my regular size 6 and they fit; I could not comfortably size down even one size. I didn't find the pockets added any weight to my legs and I actually love all the pockets. Perfect and safe for stashing my phone and keys while I run around outside.

    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baybaybay-
    you are right. I can see now mine have only 1 pocket.Yep, those fit TTS- disregard my previous comment then- sorry!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find it interesting that many of you are finding the smaller sizes (00-4) to be rather larger than usual. I have found the sizes on the "larger end" to be running smaller than usual. What kind of vanity sizing is going on??? My outrage increases with the fact that they are excising sizes larger than a 12. As a size 6-8, I find myself having to get a size 10 and wondering if I need a 12. What's going on here? I'm 5'11 and 150lbs and that is hardly huge by any means and yet I find myself being pushed out of the Crew. I have noticed the trend of clothing being more appropriate to someone with a figure like Jenna's and my outrage increases with each new catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also purchased these at my B&M for $19.99 and had to size down to a 0, and now those feel big (I guess the cotton is stretching out) and I'm using the drawstring more and more. I still like them though and the price wasn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought these in the black and the gray in my usual size 4 and they fit perfectly. It could be that certain lots were incorrectly sized. Last summer I bought a skirt in my usual size and it was at least 2 sizes too big. I bought the same skirt on the weekly exchange after the seller assured me it was TTS and it is, it fits perfectly.

    Sometimes J.Crew sizing is erratic within the same item and size...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried these on in a 0, my regular size and I don't think they were insanely too big like others are saying.

    The main problem I had was in the butt area. The pockets are really high up and/or far apart or something and it made my butt look really huge, saggy and horrible. Needless to say, I didn't buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love cargo pants. I wrote about them on my blog today at www.mydeartrash.com. Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)