Thursday, April 8, 2010

J.Crew in the News {transform!}

There is an article over at Styleite (click here) that has some interesting takes on J.Crew's change in direction:
J.Crew Continues Its Quest To Be America’s Chicest Export
By Megan Baldwin

March 31, 2010


Fashion has a ridiculously short memory. Take J.Crew, for example. We’re pretty sure it wasn’t too long ago that the mass-market retailer was more or less indistinguishable from The Gap, what with its prep-friendly range of high-rise khakis, $40 cable knit sweaters, and the occasional peacoat.

But thanks to the entree of C.E.O-cum-magician Mickey Drexler and creative director Jenna Lyons, there is a definite chic in the chain. Gone is the drab, dress code-approved garb, and in it’s place is some serious Mo-Bama endorsed fashion cred, not to mention higher price tags — $300 satchels, anyone?


And now, with the transformation of Frankenstein proportions nearly complete, comes the news that the all American chain has opened itself up to the U.K. market via Net-A-Porter. Yes, that Net-A-Porter — the same one that sells Chloe, Marchessa and Valentino. Well, if we can have TopShop then we suppose the Brits have a right to enjoy all the red, white and blue glory that is J.Crew.


Still, we can’t help but attempt to piece together at what point exactly J.Crew became a full-fledged, Net-A-Porter approved luxury brand? Our best guess is that it happened somewhere amidst the Michelle Obama’s sunshine cardigan on the Jay Leno Show, Erin Wasson fronting their catalogue, and the recession — which, as we know, drove even the most fashion faithful to the sale racks.


So as much as we bemoan the uptick in prices (since it drives us to bankruptcy every season), you’ve got to admire their image overhaul. Because what’s more fashion-y than a makeover?
And hey, if worked for J.Crew, maybe mass-market, mom-friendly retailers like Ann Taylor and Talbots might just be able to stage some mall madness of their own. (Because, god knows, they’re trying.)
Even though there is nothing new in the article (to us well-researched JCAs anyways!), I thought it summarized what is going on quite nicely & even made some good points. The company has definitely set itself apart from its old competitors like the Gap. And the line about admiring the image overhaul is great. I definitely give "mad props" to J.Crew for managing to change their image successfully, while so many others have failed.

I also couldn't agree more with the last line too. Growing up, Ann Taylor and Talbots were "mom-stores". Today, I look at their offerings and definitely see pieces that are stylish & classic for all ages. Here's to hoping they can stage some of their own magical transformation too! :)

What are your thoughts on the article? Do you agree or disagree with any of the points made? Do you think J.Crew is moving in the right direction? :)

10 comments:

  1. The story seems right on...but it doesn't make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an interesting direction they're taking. As much as it pains me to say so, I really believe J.Crew is doing the right thing....for now. Maybe it's not me and my demographic they're reaching out to. The younger set certainly is celebrity/fashion-obsessed these days, and as they pointed out - those with the budget for high fashion have looked to the cheaper mall brands so as to not look too pretentious during the recession. It's much much different than where they were a few years back, but with other brands like Martin & Oso and Boden filling in the gaps, it seems like a good way to separate themselves from all the other mall brands. I still long for the days when I could find truly classic pieces that I'll have forever (like that jacket I got at the GAP 10 years ago, still looks like new and fits perfectly), but I'll take what I can get with J.Crew. They've still got some good ideas. And I keep buying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OT: I assume everyone else got the email saying to "Hurry" and shop the final sale while we still can. Are you serious?! Now that I know it's over April 13th, mayhaps I'll just have to hold off on any additional sale shopping till the 14th. C'mon, J.Crew! You're giving away your playbook! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, well written savvy article. I can write my next history paper with this! I agree with the points made and the summary of what seems to have happened & why. I still wish, no matter what direction J. Crew heads towards, that they would start that J. Crew Classic line JCAs have been talking about for months. Or at least have it ready to go to the boards when the tide takes a turn?

    Alexis, thanks once again for bringing us another great article. I really appreciate your BloG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Crew Cricket! :) And I couldn't agree more with you in that I would love to see a Crew Classic line. I think it is such a great idea for them to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this was a great article and I have to admit it that J.Crew seems to be doing all of the right things lately. It just so happens that my sister works for Banana Republic as a mechandising manager and she just asked me today "why do you shop at J.Crew" because she wants to be able to tell her management how to compete! And btw, Alexis, I've following this blog for some time now, but have never posted and I absolutely love it. It is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, my JC stock is doing well, so I can't complain too much.

    OT: the model in that picture looks so cute with the scarf wrapped thickly right under her chin. When I do that, even though I have a longer neck, it makes me look like I have a double chin and easily adds 20 pounds. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the direction J.Crew is going, even if I don't like *everything* they are putting out. The catalogs give me good ideas of ways to put things together that I'd never thought of before. I didn't feel that way about J.Crew circa 1998. I enjoy them much more than Banana, Ann Taylor, and Talbots (where I never see anyone under the age of 60 inside). Ann Taylor has some cute things, but lately it seems to me that some of their stuff is just a copy of what J.Crew is already doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always considered myself a fashion forward person--may have not been able to afford everything I like, but growing in NYC, it is hard to avoid it.
    Since I know live in another state, I have always found it a bit hard to "stay in the know". I did not have the luxury of looking at my fellow streetwalkers in NY for inspiration and felt bored with my own fashion. I still shopped at my regular favorites (Gap, Nordstrom, BR, etc.) but I had not defined my style. I have found that Jcrew has helped me with that a great deal. The variety is what I appreciate the most--I can get work clothes that suits well for working on Capitol Hill, but at the same time, I can pick up my trendy, fun pieces as well. I still buy a few items elsewhere, but BR doesnt have the level of options, nor is it on the same level as style. I hate to say it, but I bought a dress from BR and there was no lining, and I just remember thinking to myself, this would not happen at Jcrew. lol I know people here complain about quality at times, but overall for the price we are getting a pretty decent item for our money. Just ask anyone who lives in Europe or Canada, for quality they really have to go high fashion. Now, I am not sure this love-fest will last forever, but for now, it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jaime: Thanks for the nice words! You are so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)