Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Product Review: Wool Herringbone Ella Dress

Wool Herringbone Ella Dress
Click here for product page
Item 99504
Regular: $188.00
Now: $139.99

A big "thanks!" to Anon at 11:45 AM (in this post), who shared with us her great review of this {beautiful} dress!

Here is my review of the Ella dress. I think the Ella dress fits TTS. I am normally a medium in tops, 8 in pants, 10 in skirts. I ordered the 10 because they said the bodice of the Ella was fitted. It fits very well. They were accurate in their description, it was very fitted.

You don't have to worry about the sleeves falling down, the fabric has no stretch and stays in place on the shoulders nicely. The one thing I didn't like about it was that because the fabric has no stretch, the sleeves do not have give to them and you can't raise your arms that high because they are off the shoulder sleeves.

The dark peony color is more of a deep pink than maroon. It looked maroon on the model. It is a very pretty color though. The fabric is also very nice and not itchy for being wool.

There are snaps to secure your bra, but I found that the fabric is thick enough and the bodice is fitted enough that I did not need to wear one with the dress and nothing showed. I did try it on with a bra and it created massive cleavage that I did not like. I am a 36B for the record. Overall I really like the dress and I got tons of compliments on it at my company party last night. :)


"Thanks!" again to Anon at 11:45 AM (in this post) for her review! :)

What are your thoughts on the Wool Herringbone Ella Dress (do you like/dislike the style, design, fabric)? Are you considering or already have purchased this dress? Have you seen this dress in-person? If so, please share with us your reviews too! :)

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, I have been eyeing this dress and think its lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased this dress online but will be returning it. The fabric was too insubstantial to avoid wear on the seat, but it was too structured at the bust, creating a cone-like effect. (Think Madonna's 1980s tours... not exactly what I had hoped for!) I'm generally a 4 in J.Crew dresses, but that was a bit too roomy; ordering a size down for comparison may be wise. I contemplated doing so but decided that I really did not like the dress regardless! I had ordered the dress in bright papaya, which was slightly more orange than the photo suggested but was an otherwise attractive color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeballing the dress, thanks for the review! But I haven't seen it in my store and I don't want to risk buying it tp find it isn't flattering when it's final sale later on :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress. Thanks so much for the review. I was very curious about the fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for review; I thought the dress really pretty and was considering it, but, I just don't think I would get that much wear out of it (ie, not a 'day' dress), and it was a bit low cut for me to feel comfy wearing, but, a gorgeous dress for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. :) I've been looking at this dress for awhile now and it's nice to hear other opinions about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too passed on this dress because even though I love the top part, the skirt part would make me look huge. A pencil skirt would look better. Also, that neckline is a bit low for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this dress doesn't even look comfortable. the model wearing it looks like she is confined in the shoulder, chest area. i bet this dress will be on DEEP discount soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all,

    May I add my thanks to those of my fellow aficionadas? Like Stacie, Lesley & Melanie I have been looking at it longingly. However, like himmiefan, I'm not to sure about the styling. It looks a little stiff, esp in the bodice & sleeves. I know that that "Mad Men" look is pretty popular right now. It's just a bit much for me.

    I really wish that they had other items in this fabric as I love the colour & herringbone pattern. Too bad they didn't make some of this peony in the 99602 pencil skirt.

    Oh well, I guess I'll say my $$$$ for an item that I can love unconditionally :}

    Happy hunting fellow aficionadas!

    Heather:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purchased this dress and am also returning it. I am usually a size 2, ordered a size 0 and it was still too big in the shoulders. It was constantly falling off of me. I ordered the dress in bright yellow and did not like the fabric or the color. I agree with the other reviewer who said it gives a cone like effect. This dress is not flattering at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i wanted to order the dress but thought that fit would matter a lot and was hoping to find it at the store but of course it has to be catalog/jcrew.com only =( and i'm surprised they didn't make petite sizes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ordered this dress with the HOHOHO promotion and I got my package yesterday. All day I was so excited to go home and try it on. Naturally, you can tell what's coming next. I opened the box only to find every item *except* the dress. Gah! I had had such good luck until now I guess it figures it had to happen sometime. I called CS and the guy I talked to was extremely apologetic (he must have said "I'm sorry" at least 10 times) but of course the dress is already sold out in peony so there was nothing they could do but issue me a refund. If anyone has a size 4 in peony they're looking to resell, let me know...

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)