Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pleated Lombard Ruffle Cardigan {doube take!}

Remember J.Crew's Pleated Lombard Ruffle Cardigan (Item 18281; $118.00, now $69.99) from Fall of 2009? J.Crew described it as: "It's the unconventional techniques we used to design this cardigan that make it so special: Our designers spent hours painstakingly hand pleating cotton lawn into an intricate cascade, then laser cut the edges to keep them from fraying (we're obsessed with the way it creates an unexpected vintage feel). A hand-tucked rosette makes this thoroughly romantic piece even more irresistible".

A big "thanks!" to Linda (in this post), who found a cardigan over at Kohl's, that shares a striking resemblance. The cardigan is the ELLE™ Pleated Cardigan (Item 580175; $44.00, now $25.99).

Personally, I like J.Crew's version a tiny bit more. However, Kohl's version is a super close second. And the price tag! The Elle version only makes it even more attractive for those who missed J.Crew's cardigan the first time around. :)

Incidentally, to see some real-life images of J.Crew's cardigan, check out:
-"J Crew - pleated Lombard ruffle cardigan" post over at Gigi's Gone Shopping
-"Lombard Review" post over at My Bag Overfloweth
-"Lombard cardigan IRL" post over at Patina's Confessions of a Shopaholic

What are your thoughts on the Pleated Lombard Ruffle Cardigan? Do you like the version from Kohl's? :)

8 comments:

  1. I saw this at Kohl's too, and thought of the Lombard right away! However, IMO, the Kohl's version feels very cheep, especially the ruffle! I missed out on the Lombard, but I will for sure be passing on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this at Kohl's on Saturday. I thought it was very nice for the price. I don't care for the JCrew style nor the Kohl's style but if you missed the JCrew one and really wanted it the Kohl's one is a great buy.

    I am just so over the ruffle/corsage thing! I used to love that kind of stuff but am just too saturated with it EVERYWHERE to make it feel special and unique anymore and that is what I go for when I buy my clothes anymore:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genny, I agree. The ruffles have been so overdone, not only by J.Crew, but by EVERYONE. Sure they're pretty, but when they're everywhere you look, I feel like I get desensitized to their prettiness or something. Time to move on to something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this at Kohl's also. I did not care for the big banding on the bottom and like everyone else I am soooo tired of the ruffle/corsage !

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, I could never get with the Kohl's version. The fabric would be a dealbreaker. Probably a poly or rayon blend. And why does it have that goofy ribbing / banding around the bottom at all, and it goes up so high to boot! Blech!

    I feel bad saying it, but I'd never even look at the Kohl's one twice. About all they got right was the embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree too time to move on to something else other than ruffles and embellished thin t-shirts.

    Sometimes the cheaper version has better quality, I experienced this with a J Crew t-shirt, the JC one(Vintage Slub Cotton Polo) fell apart ( hole about the size of a pencil eraser) after 2 washings, the $7.00 Walmart one is still going strong after multiple washings, both were made of slub cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree agree about the walmart organic slub cottons!! Why does JC think everyone is a size 0 with no boobs. I don't want to layer a thin t-shirt that is embellished with corsages. My boobs are enough bumps in the sweaters. I love the thin t's to be blank for layering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, Target is knocking off the slub fabric too, and recently Old Navy got in on the game ... I'm all stocked up on tees, though. And since the slub fabric appeared, my love for anything made of the JC tissue fabric dissipated. I also find that it tends to stretch out / sag after only 2 or so wearings and doesn't snap back into shape even after washing. I bought 2 of the pleated flower vine tanks on sale a few months ago, and the one with the tags still on it is going back for that very reason.

    Sort of OT, but does anyone know how I can shrink a pair of jeans? I bought 2 pair of the vintage destroyed matchsticks and I LOVE them, but they're falling down due to a combination of weight loss and, I suspect, stretching out 'cause there's no lycra in the denim.

    I tried washing on hot and drying on high and it didn't do a thing! Argh!

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)