Thursday, May 20, 2010

Different Ways to Wear a Scarf

"Thanks!" to Rosa in DC who let us know about a post over at Refinery29 (click here) about how to wear scarves this season. Also included in the post, a few images of J.Crew! :)
4 New Ways To Wear A Scarf
May 12, 2010


Tuck the ends into a belt— For beautiful scarves you want to show off, loop one around your neck and hold it in place with a belt. It's an interesting way to add a casual layer.


Try out some new headscarf tricks— There's nothing new about wearing a scarf on your head, but we suggest test-driving a few new twists. We love taking longer, skinny scarves and braiding them up, à la our artist-friend Francesca, or going more glam and wearing one turban-style.


Channel a grown-up Girl Scout— Take your smaller scarves and tie it around your neck like a bandanna with the two ends in front. Pick a scarf in a great print to keep it from looking too hokey.

Cinch your waist, obi style
— With a longer scarf, wrap it around the smallest part of your waist. Secure it with a belt for a more polished look.
J.Crew really embraces the use of the scarf no matter what the season, even summer time! Personally, I find it difficult to wear a scarf during the hotter days for the obvious reason. Although I should add that I really do love the look of a t-shirt, shorts, and thin scarf. But I just can't bring myself to do it. ;)

What are your thoughts on the different ways to wear scarves? Have you tried any of the methods listed here? If so, please share! :)

14 comments:

  1. I really love all of these except for #4, that one just looks like youre trying a little too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 is actually my favorite. I don't think it looks like it is trying too hard to be anything. I do however think that I need to slim my waist down a little before I add some bulk and cinch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love light scarves in the summer--ones made of linen or cotton. They keep the sun off your neck, and then you don't have to rub greasy sunblock there that stains your clothes or just feels icky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a deck of cards I got when I bought my Hermes scarf on the many different ways to wear one of their big silk beauties. I also got a similar thing from Talbots last month when I bought a scarf there. Very useful. I love wearing scarves.
    Not keen on the "tucking into the belt" idea, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of tucking scarves into belts...I think it looks a smidge silly but maybe it works on some people. I love the idea of making them into belts! Now must.go.buy.more.scarves...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Appgal - that's what I do too. I recently tried using the crewcuts scarves and they're sized just right to use as a belt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love long scarfs in the summer - in fact I have one on right now! I get cold easily and they are indispensable for keeping warm in air-conditioned environments. The ones I like are extra long and wide, about 2 feet wide by 6 feet long, so I can wrap them around my shoulders like a shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IRL - That's a genius idea! I always try using scarves as belts, but they end up being wayyyy too long or falling a bit short, depending on the length. A crewcuts scarf would be perfect.

    I like the idea of tucking a scarf under a belt, but I'm a bit busty, and I have a feeling it wouldn't work. Has anyone with a bigger bust ever tried this look?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, Alexis. No scarves for me in warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are definitely a lot of different sites that show different ways to tie scarves, including this one I've shown on my blog a couple times...it even gives step by step illustrations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. IRL- Thank you for that idea! Solves the too long, too short dilemma perfectly.
    Tracy- Just think of someone like Kim Kardashian when she wears really thick belts. I think it is a great way to show off being curvy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE scarves and wear them several times a week. Thanks to Century 21, I have a huge collection of Ferragamo scarves. My favorite ways to wear them are folded into a rectangle and tied like a man's tie or "tied" with one of my scarf rings. I like the look of the wrapped-around-your-neck-and-tucked-into-your-belt method, but it feels surprisingly constricting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have so many scarves they are practically taking over my closets. Totes of them. Been wearing them as belts and around my neck since I started workingin 1991. Seems I have bought more and more though in the last 4 years. (Getting out of hand:) Anyway, I do love and wear mine year round. Talbots has a cute scarf ring. They are on sale now too in lots of colors. I ordered the ivory one yesterday. I have also found some great Youtube videos on scarf tying.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)