Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Love It or Leave It: Bell Flower Top

Bell Flower Top
Click here for product page
Item 17429
Regular: $118.00

Awhile back (in the March 25th post, "J.Crew's Newest Arrivals For Fall 2009 {part 2}"), the Bell Flower Top made its debut. The top is described as the following: "Carefully crafted by our design team, our incredibly flattering silk tank is finished with dangling bell flowers—an unforgettable addition to any wardrobe. Twisted collar. Sleeveless."

I thought the top looked super cute when it was styled with a blazer (as shown in the image to the right).

When I saw the item online (after the website updated with new arrivals), I became less excited about it. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Specifically, I am not sure how good the top looks by itself. I can't decide whether the dangling bell flowers are (a) over-the-top by themselves or (b) a unique touch to a simple silk tank?

This is definitely one of those items I need to see and try on in person. And of course, this top is "available in select stores"- so chances are my local store will not be carrying it.

What are your thoughts on the Bell Flower Top? Do you "love it" or would you "leave it"? Have you seen this top at a store? If so, please share with us your review. :)

Quick Poll: Do you like the Bell Flower Top?

15 comments:

  1. I saw the top in the 45th & Madison and 17th & 5th stores in NYC recently. I bought this myself and returned it. I think the consensus among the larger chested of us on this board is that it has too much going on in that area. Would probably look cute under a blazer or cardi on a smaller chested JCA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like a bugle coming out of the chest. Pass for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I passed this top in my B&M the other day and wondered when it would make a "questionable item of the week" post. I don't think I want those weirdly suggestive Georgia O'Keeffe flowers growing out of my boobs and then dangling there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gigiofca: I love your comment it made me smile this am. I agree it is not my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to order it but then forget about it. That must be a sign. I wish my B&M carried it so I could see it IRL before ordering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love it. :) Maybe this means it'll show up in the sale section? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this top. Interestingly, it's selling well. There were none left in sage as of last night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh... spoke too soon. Just did a quick check - there are limited quantities/sizes left.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had ordered the sage about a month ago, and promptly returned it.... for the very reason that Cass mentions.... this top, IMO, is not good for those, like myself, who happen to be larger chested. Way too much going on up there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that this top probably won't work for larger-chested JCA's, and this is why I'll have to pass on it. BTW, for those who are looking for an elegant silk tank, I highly recommend the Silk Flower Tank, which is on sale now for $29.99. It comes in Warm Shell, Navy, and Weathered Stone (Stone is not available today). I'm wearing mine in Warm Shell today, and I LOVE it. I'm amazed that this top was not a Collection piece b/c the quality of the fabric and the stitching on the flower petals are truly first-rate. The material feels heavenly, and I'm glad I picked it up in Navy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dangly bits remind me of truck nuts. (I'm sorry to admit that I know that such an auto accessory exists.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Madison Avenue collection store had this as of a few weeks ago. I was tempted to try it on, then remembered how these tops, even in size 0, are ENORMOUS on me and therefore unflattering. Thought it was very pretty in person though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HEXICON-Thanks for making me literally LOL!! Can always use a hard laugh like that! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. JKW-I could not agree more on that shirt review. What a fabulous fabric, intricate design and fab $$. Let me add fit is also nice...WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)