Wednesday, January 15, 2014

J.Crew Styling: the Sneaker Trend Edition

JCAs took notice in (at least) the last four catalogs, a new styling trend... sneakers with everyday outfits!

Normally sneakers are accompanied with some type of workout outfit, or jeans and a t-shirt. However, J.Crew decided to dress them up! When J.Crew offered the The Nike® Vintage Collection Air Pegasus ’83 Sneaker this holiday season, J.Crew's Style Director Gayle said: "It’s a great old-school fashion sneaker. You’re definitely not wearing this one to the gym.”
J.Crew thinks pairing a pencil skirt and sneakers are the way to go. And not in a "Working Girl", got to walk a few blocks to work, kind of way. While I think it is challenging to pull off a running sneaker with a pencil skirt or 2-piece suit, I do think pairing the footwear with J.Crew's Pixie Pants and button down is totally on point! The look below is a perfect example of how wearing a pair of sneakers works with the whole outfit.
Well, J.Crew is clearly onto something because whatever sneaker they promote, sells out like hotcakes! J.Crew's Nike Vintage Collection Air Pegasus ’83 Sneaker for Women sold out so quickly, that I don't even think they were available when the second catalog featuring them came out.
 Their Women's New Balance® for J.Crew 620 sneakers (item 06690, $80.00) is on track to sell out quickly too. The "Dusty Beechwood" and "Pebble" versions are long gone. Since they were created exclusively for J.Crew, pop-backs are the only way to go.
I have to admit, I was not on board with this shoe-trend when I first saw it splashed throughout J.Crew's Fall catalog. However, I am totally on board now. Plus, footwear that is both stylish and comfortable is pretty sweet! 

What are your thoughts on the sneaker trend? Are you rocking this look? If so, how are you pulling your outfit together? Please share! :)

18 comments:

  1. I love it! I wear my running sneakers with leggings and workout clothes, but they're not polished enough for skinnies or tee dresses. Just ordered 2 pairs of the NB ones - I think the styling can be interesting with old school kicks in the mix vs the same same of flats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, they're around half the price of good running shoes, so not a bad deal. Other colors are available on amazon and other retailers, but I think these are definitely more fun

      Delete
  2. Heels, sadly, are not a great option for me with my low vision, so I'm always on the lookout for cute kicks. I like these! But, I'm not loving the sneakers with pencil skirt look--I'll be sticking to flats with skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I like sneakers only with casual clothes. I used to see women walking to work in work clothes and sneaks (it probably still happens but I now stay home w/ my kids and rarely make it downtown these days) and always swore, SWORE, I would never be one of them. And frankly, I actually only like athletic (or faux-athletic, like these JC ones) sneakers for athletic reasons; for just being out and about, I think there are much cuter sneaker options. I have these, for example, and love them!

    http://www.6pm.com/ugg-laela-quilted-black~1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. it's not that new though... see: lauren hutton in jcrew. they've also had other models wearing chucks/jack purcell/ tretorns with trousers & whatnot over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, they had this style promoted foe a while now, just different type of sport shoe this time

      Delete
  5. I really like wearing sneakers with a fuller skirt in warmer weather -- I have a pair of Supergas and a pair of KSS x PF Flyers that are perfect for that combo.

    It's been tough to pull off the sneaker thing this winter, though, because of the snow and the cold -- my ankles actually got windburned one day when I wore sneakers with ankle pants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this look, but I feel like something is always off when I try to pull off an outfit like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought BOTH the "Dusty Beechwood" and "Pebble" versions when I had the chance. They look very cute with Minnies and skinny jeans, and I hope to be able to wear them to and from work (and around town) when the winter starts to fade a bit in Oslo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally in love with the neon lime and mango colors, but not enough to pay full price. Hoping for some kind of 25 percent off all items promo to get me there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like my Nike Air Pegasus from J. Crew, but honestly they look a lot better on the catalog models (obviously! lol). I don't think I look particularly great when I wear them. I would never attempt them with a skirt, I could never carry that look off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I literally own one pair of Nikes and can't even find them right now. I've been using a pair of Skechers slip ons for my walks and treadmill. I would look like a goober in a skirt and kicks. My go-to picks are a trim ballet flat (Cece!) or a wedge (Martinas!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've worn the nike waffle sneakers, in blue, with a suit and with other work/meeting clothes (trousers, sweaters, shirts, blazers). That combination usually makes me feel like I'm channeling Ellen, and I love having comfortable feet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sometimes wear sneakers at the office but always combined with more formal items like a silk blouse and a blazer. And only on fridays.....
    I really like wearing them in this way as it adds an element of surprise

    ReplyDelete

  13. Win a $1000 Best Buy Gift Card!
    If you like to shop at Best Buy this is the one for you. Here we find an offer where you can get a FREE $1,000 Best Buy gift card. Imagine what could you buy with $1,000 at Best Buy :)
    Click here to claim your $1,000 Best Buy Gift Card
    If you are US residents, simply click on the link that we have provided for you. Join and participate. This great $1,000 Best Buy gift card could be yours!
    Click Here To Win

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is very interesting. In order to provide students the skills they need to succeed in life, the course takers online Top Class Takers goes above and beyond conventional teaching approaches.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)