I have come across a few personal observations, which I have listed below. These are just my opinions when it comes to sizes and should not be taken for actual measurement specifications! Obviously, if you are unsure about sizing, you should try on the clothes to see how they actually fit.
- SHOES: The flats tend to run true to size. However, sandals, peep toe shoes, and wedges run 1/2 size too big.
- TOPS: The t-shirts tend to run true to American measurements. [Which basically means that American size charts are "bigger" than its European or Asian counterparts. If you don't understand what I mean, then I refer to H&M clothes. Haven't you ever notice that if you are a "extra small" with J. Crew (which is a 0-2 in size), you are a "small" with H&M (which is a 4-6 in size).]
However, when it comes to button down work shirts and blouses, the shirts run a 1/2 to a whole size bigger. (For example, I am a size 2 in tops, but I order a size 0 when it comes to button down shirts.)
- PANTS: Again, these run true to American size for the most part. (I have found it is similar to GAP's sizing.) However, when ordering matchstick jeans or capris (in other words, tight/ fitted pants), then order a size up (as they tend to run a bit small).
- DRESSES: For the most part, the size chart is true to their sizing. However, once in awhile I will notice that some dresses run either too big or too small. I blame those hiccups in sizing on the different manufacturer of clothes that J. Crew relies on.
- JACKETS & OUTTERWEAR: My mother use to tell me to order a size up when it comes to jackets. This is not true when it comes to J.Crew. Whatever size top you normally are (again, for me it is a size 2), then that is most likely the size you should get for your jacket.
P.S. If you were curious about the item in the picture, that is J. Crew's Jelly Ballet Flats (Item 91531). I actually own the black pair. They are very nice to wear when its raining, but have absolutely no support for your feet (I mean none!) I ended up having to purchase an insole to make these shoes comfortable to walk in.