Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cookie Mag's "Meet The Mom Behind J.Crew"

A big "thanks!" to Ina / Anon at 9:36 AM (in this post) who let us know that Cookie Magazine had a cute web feature on J.Crew's Jenna Lyons (click here to read it in its entirety).

Cookie Sheet: Jenna Lyons
By Lexy Schmertz


As creative director and fashion visionary for J. Crew, Jenna Lyons just gets it. Thanks to her, the brand's classic styles have been updated with innovative twists—sequins, ribbons, and funky patterns—that drive women, including the new first lady, wild.


What about your children makes you laugh?
The way Beckett runs straight up and down with a little forward thrust—it's hysterical. The way he gets obsessed with something for three weeks. And the way he says, "That's amazing."


What is your favorite family ritual?

Saturday morning disco dancing.

What was your most frazzled mom moment?

Pumping in random places all dressed up and overly emotional!


What parenting issue do you and your partner disagree most about?

Spoiling Beckett at bedtime—I want to cuddle with him all the time and stay with him until he falls asleep. Daddy wants him to be a big boy and fall asleep on his own.


What is your parenting role: good cop or bad cop?

Good, cuddly, soft, spoiling, kissing cop.


What do you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about?

How, before long, he will want his friends more than me! How, soon, he'll want his own apartment, college, driver's license, teenage drinking—I might be a bit of a worrier....


What do you wish you had done before you had children?

Had them earlier!


What is a typical Saturday morning in your house like?

Scottish pizza, disco, the farmers' market, the playground. Pretty much every weekend, in that order.


What was your mom most right about?

More things than I care to admit. Biggest one: "Save your money!"
...

How gorgeous does she look in that photo!?! :) I also love that response to the question about "what was your mom right about". It's so true! :)

What are your thoughts on her replies? Did any of the responses surprise you? Which responses were you not surprised by? ;)

16 comments:

  1. "What a lovely photo" was the first thing that popped into my mind. Makes me want to run out with my cameras & snap a few myself . . . You know what, I will do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is Scottish Pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep-Fried pizza. And yes, they do fry everything, from twinkies to mars bars. There's many chip shops around here that do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ First, LOL to the first post. On the second. Really? Deep fried pizza? With, like, what toppings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there's no specified toppings, lol. You could have whatever you want on it. They'll just dip the whole slice in batter & deep fry it. I've never had it before, so I can't tell you how it tastes. Don't be surprised, the scots are famous for deep frying everything. Hence, they are the unhealthiest country on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jeff- That sounds absolutely disgusting. Anon 12:27

    ReplyDelete
  7. umm, anon 7:15, Jeff is right. I live in England and go to Scotland often. Yes they do deep fry everything and yes they do have the shortest life expectancy in all of Europe because of their diet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm ok now that post is gone, was I imagining it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scotland is definitely not the least healthiest country in the world.

    This is my favorite post from Jeff:

    "Blogger Jeff said...

    Thankfully, this would be the closest I'll get to being stuck in a room alone with a 100 women.

    I've come to think of this discussion as a flock of sheep. When will a shepherd show up to tend his flock?

    January 20, 2009 11:44 PM"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder what Jenna's REALLY like, IRL. She's always presented to us in this fantasy world, what I like to call a "magazine life". I'll bet she picks her nose. Or maybe she has a lisp or something...
    I'm going to deep-fry my leftover Krispy Kremes for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice read. I have a 20 month old, so I can certainly relate to most of her responses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon at 11:34..I always wonder about before who are presented so magnificently and beyond earth...you see them in this beautiful light and they look great but then you think to yourself - they're human so they fart..well at least I think that

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fart,
    therefore I am.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, thanks to Jenna I know that deep-fried pizza exists. I'm picturing a bunch of us JCAs eyeballing our FryDaddies tonight.

    Krispy Kreme glazed donuts are already deep fried--that's what makes them good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenna sounds like a real flake...LOL..I can't imagine she really eats Scottish Pizza every week...yeah right. She is probably laughing at everyone else comsuming it and thinking...they are going to be faaaattt.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)