Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Product Review: Pepper suede flats

Pepper suede flats
Item 90697
Click here to visit product page
Regular: $148.00
Select colors now $69.99

I was super excited to see these shoes being offered by J.Crew awhile back. I just thought they looked adorable! I did my best to restrain the urge to get a pair when they were priced at $99.99. However, when they went on sale for $69.99 (plus an additional 20% off during their sale) last week, I could not resist any further. :)

The Pepper suede flats come in four different shades: Bistro orange, chocolate, bright azalea, and sour lemon. I personally choose to get the Bistro orange pair (even though I had not seen a pair in person beforehand). Now that I have the flat, the Bistro orange shade looks very much like a bright red. In fact, I took my red pair of Lucia suede ballet flats (Item 86214) to compare the colors- the Bistro orange Pepper suede flats is just a tiny shade more "orange" than the red shoe. (However, the difference in color is very minimal. I had to strain to see a difference in color.) I don't mind too much that the Bistro orange is more red than orange, even though I would have preferred a more orange shoe (since I already have a pair in red).

Much like the Liv Metallic Ballet Flats that I reviewed in an earlier post, the Pepper suede flats have an extra bit of cushion (when compared to previous ballet flats offered by the Crew). The extra bit of cushion is not the same kind of support you would get from a casual sneaker, but enough for me to be happy with.

The fringe detail (e.g. the puff ball on the tip of the shoe) is quite cute. (Especially cute when paired with a knee length skirt!) The fringe detail was a bit "smooshed" (since it was packed in tightly by J.Crew before being shipped), but I was able to easily fix it (so it looks completely fine now).

I am also surprise how well the shoe fits (which is true to size) and stays on my feet considering the shape of the shoe itself (which is a d'Orsay cut).

Also, the same complaint I have of all their ballet flats applies to the Pepper suede flat: the soles of the shoe are very slippery. I will need to adhere a "safe step sole pad" (that non-skid rough, rubber-like pad) to the bottom of the shoes (which costs about $2 at any Wal-Mart).

What are your thoughts about the Pepper suede flats? What do you think about J. Crew's ballet flats in general?

16 comments:

  1. I have purchased three pairs of J.Crew ballet flats this season. I have been wanting J.Crew flats for some time now. However, now that they are sitting on my closet shelf, I am contemplating returning all three. They are never the first pair of shoes I reach for, and I tend to wear my more comfortable ballet flats (though not quite as cute) from other shoe makers. How do you decide to put on these flats rather than heels, sandals, espadrills, or even flip flops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon- Most of the time (90%) I turn to flats from J.Crew. I just like them, and I tend to choose style over comfort! ;) But you are right, J.Crew flats are not the most comfortable flat. :)

    I don't wear heels mainly because I can not walk well in them. I also found it makes other people feel uncomfortable. (I am not that tall, just 5'8" but every time I wear heels over 2 inches, I get a comment about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed with some of J.Crew's orange colors (I'm mostly thinking of bright flame) print vs online vs real life are quite different.

    The pepper suede flats are super cute, but I think I'm going to hold off and see if the heels get any cheaper. I like wearing heels with my dress pants because they are invariably just a bit too long with flats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haus_frau- I know what you mean about the orange colors when it comes to print, online, and in person.

    The pepper heels version seem super cute too! I saw them in the store the other day (in azalea) and thought they were just lovely.

    I know what you mean about pants being too long. I have certain pants that I can only wear with a 2-3" heel while other pants can only be worn with a flat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have these in sour lemon, and love them! The color is very vibrant, almost neon, and I think that they look very sophisticated- enough so that I can wear them to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. K: I definitely agree that all four colors being offered are very vibrant in color. That is why I like them too!

    I think it is great to wear a "pop" of color in an outfit for work (or leisure) in a small & delicate way, like these flats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious how the suede holds up. Though I love leather shoes, I normally avoid suede, since it seems to show scuffs, water marks, stains, etc more easily than other leathers...and suede is much harder to clean.

    However, I've been eying the driving shoes for months, so if I hear good reports on Jcrew's suede shoes, I may have to give in....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute shoes! I usually wear heels, though, and sandals, at that...close-toed shoes just seem odd to wear here in Florida, except in Winter. I would like to try the J.Crew Mary Janes, or Espadrilles, though...any opinions on them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Auryane! I know what you mean about the suede. I have a light blue suede purse and it is awful to keep clean. :)

    When it comes to J.Crew suede shoes, it is much easier to clean. Of course, I have to make sure I don't wear any of my suede flats (and I have about 10 pairs) on rainy days and watch my step a bit. If they do get a bit dirty around the edges (especially the lighter colors like my red and mustard yellow), I use a $2 suede brush/eraser kit I got from Wal-mart- it really works great to clean them too.

    FabulousFloridaMommy: I can believe that closed-toe flats don't make much sense to wear during the summers of Florida! :)

    I would love to wear heels, but like I mentioned before, I am awkward walking around in them. ;)

    I have tried the Rafina espadrilles on while at the store, and found them to be very comfortable to walk in. I also found that they run 1/2 smaller than my usual size. If the price are right on those espadrilles, I would buy them immediately! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purchased the Rafina espadrilles and returned them. I'm a size 9 and had to go up to a size 10. I returned them because the sides of the straps seem to cut into my feet. I have skinny feet. The description says the material will stretch over time but I did not feel like waiting! I have Savannah Canvas Espardrilles in Brick (slingbacks) from JCrew (paid full price @ $98.00) last year but they are the most comfortable and prettiest shoe! I've had to size up in most espadrilles. I've never tried the Mary Janes...too high for my casual lifestyle ;)SW

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Pepper suede heels, which I have also been eyeing in the sale section! I'm glad the to know the color is cute and that the little pom pom on the front is cute as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the pepper suede heels in sour lemon and they are so versatile! I know that it seems impossible, but I have found that they go with almost any color I pair them with!

    Flats don't work well for me unless they are sandals. I have tons of the J Crew capri sandals and while they certainly are NOT comfortable they are quite fashionable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous at 7:20 PM: I find it interesting that you are also a size 9 (as am I) and needed to go a size up in the Rafina espadrilles. Do you normally go up a size in J.Crew espadrilles, or just the Rafina version?

    Anonymous at 9:26PM: I think you would be quite surprised how lovely the Pepper Heels are in person. I saw them in the store and thought they look much better than in the catalog.

    Anonymous at 4:22PM: I know what you mean about the sour lemon- just a great pop of color for any outfit! :)

    I also totally agree about the capri sandals not being the most comfortable (but they do look nice!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alexis, I love your product reviews, they are excellent for deciding if an item is worth it or not and give me a lot of information on the little details you can't see until you lay your hands on the product. Please keep the reviews coming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. By the way, I have had my eyes set on the Twyla midheels for the longest time, does anybody have something to say about them? I love the way they look but fear they may be a little uncomfortable, the horizontal strap on the upper part looks kind of tight and with not enough clearance for chubby toes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous at 9:05 PM: Thanks so much for the nice comment! I will definitely keep it up. :)

    Anonymous at 9:10PM: The Twyla midheels do look beautiful! I have not tried them on, but I suspect the same thing you did: that they may be uncomfortable around the strap area.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)