Monday, June 30, 2008

Product Review: J.Crew Handbag

Jacquie was kind enough to share with all of us her review of J.Crew's latest handbag. I actually have seen this bag in-person at their stores and absolutely adore it, (it had a cute scarf hanging off of it- I just thought it looked great!) Unfortunately, it is not available on their website as of yet (and I could not find it in the latest catalog). The following is Jacquie's (fantastic) review:

Quilted tumbled-leather Quincy hobo
Click here for product page
I
tem 95897
Regular: $228.00
Colors: Golden Yellow, Graphite, Emerald Green

Pros: Made of quilted leather (the grey is a bit softer, but I'm sure the yellow will soften up), hobo style, brass hardware, lined with cotton, 1 inside pocket and adjustable handle (can be worn on shoulder or carried). But I love the closure, it's a round clasp, so it insures the bag will be securely closed (no zipper though). These bags are great for all seasons and types of dress (casual, work, etc). The yellow could add that punch of color in a sea of browns and blacks during the winter, the grey would go great with a fabulous 120 suit. The size is a great medium, so it will hold all of your purse junk :) I've carried the yellp bag 2 times and have gotten many compliments on it.

Cons: the handle makes noise. It comes from the leather rubbing against the brass hardware. The noise stop with continued usage (I hope!)

What are your thoughts about this new handbag from J.Crew? (Do you happen to know its name or item number?) Have you seen it in-person or own it? Also, a big "thank you!" to Jacquie again who shared with us her fabulous review and provided us with her own image as well! {You rock!}

8 comments:

  1. Cute Bag...congrats Jacquie! Thanks for the review, too. Both colors are really nice...it would be hard to choose...

    BTW...I have a Coach bag in a similar size and style that also makes noise due to the hardware (which is on the strap), and I am also hoping it will stop with continued usage...you are not alone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute bag I saw it in the store... but really I need work bags that can hold file folders. I work in Development and I am always running around town to meetings. Its cute but for a bag I can only use on weekends... Eh I have a lot of those. But congrats Jacquie the bag is adorable.

    I did hit the sale over the weekend and I got the toulon flats in pink for 66 dollars (they are part of the jcrew collection) originally priced at 195. It was the highlight of my week!

    Thanks for this blog Alexis... I love talking about J Crew... of course should you decide to stray from only talking about JC you could talk about how there are gap items that are clearly rip offs of JC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blumre: Thanks for the nice comment. And congrats on the flats for just $66- great price!!! :)

    Out of curiosity, what items has Gap copied the style of J.Crew from? (I know that stores do this all the time, like Target and Pier One have stolen designs from the Pottery Barn. And American Eagle steals the look of Abercrombie & Fitch. I just didn't realize that Gap did this to J.Crew too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexis I have seen the Amagansett tote in both a similar madras pattern and the solid with white handles. I even looked inside and the pockets were in the same place. I saw it in the outlet at Clinton in CT and it may or may not have been in the regular stores but it was clearly a JCrew copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blumre: Thanks for letting me know about the tote- I wonder if J.Crew is aware of the Gap stealing some designs? I like the Gap (especially their pants), but I prefer J.Crew bags over theirs (even though I do own a few Gap bags). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacquie-- thank you for the wonderful write up and review of the bag--- they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bags are beautiful. I have a J Crew bag from around 5 years ago and it just gets more beautiful with age. Enjoy!! :)

    jcrewjunkie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this bag in the green, which is a really lovely shade of green (not quite as bright as a kelly green but a rich green with some yellowish undertones). Probably the best part is that the hardware is gold and the clasp in the front looks like a typically necklace claps (something different than what you normally see). Overall the quality of the bag seems well worth the $228 price tag, especially love the quilted leather.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)