Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Product Review: Luxe Knit Bloomer Short

Luxe Knit Bloomer Short
Click here for product page
Item 26449
Regular: $45.00
Now: $29.99

J.Crew describes these light weight shorts as the following:
Our fashion-forward take on sweats—irresistible drawstring bloomer shorts crafted from our luxe terry, a supersoft, lightweight blend of cotton and linen. We're loving them with flirty tops and piled-on jewelry for a chic high-low contrast. Cotton/linen french terry. 3 1/4" inseam. Import. Machine wash. Catalog/jcrew.com only.
I mentioned in an earlier post, that I bought these to wear under dresses. (Full explanation of my bizarre reasoning why can be found at the July 29th "Ends Today: Take an Extra 30% Off Final Sale" post.) MjBeet (in this post) asked what my review of these shorts are, so here it is...

To sum up how I feel about the shorts: terrible. Sorry, but they were for me. The main reason is the style. I knew they were bloomers going into the purchase, I just didn't realize how much they would "bloom". I was hoping for a mild bloom effect, and the reality was more than I wanted.

The front view looked fine (not great, just fine). But what really killed it for me was the back & side view of my bum. The pants made my rear-end look much bigger than it was. As someone who is already "gifted" in the back side, I didn't need any more emphasis of the area.

More disturbing, the pants actually made me look like I was wearing an adult diaper. That is right. Horrifying.

As for fit, I would say it was true-to-size. I am normally a size 6 in bottoms and went with a medium for the shorts. They seem to fit me fine.

As for fabric, I didn't care for the cotton/linen combination at all. I found the shorts to be a bit itchy. This bummed me out too. I thought they would have been more comfortable than they were. Honestly, it would have been better (& cheaper) if it was just all cotton.

So even though I was planning to wear these under dresses, I decided to return them. I just did not like them at all. :(

But don't just take my word for it. "Thanks!" to Elle (in this post) who shared her review of these as well:
I received the luxe terry bloomer shorts in faded black last week and I'm CRAZY about them. They're actually very flattering (I'm a size 6, on the thin side and ordered a medium) and they definitely dress up with normal shoes and a sweater (I wore with the Long beach cardigan). I even wore them to go out at night last weekend. I remember commenters being very skeptical about these but I really think they look good, and are soooo comfortable to boot!
What are your thoughts on the Luxe Knit Bloomer Shorts? Have you seen or own these shorts? If so, what is your review of the fit & style? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

15 comments:

  1. I bought the sequin jersey bloomer and I have the same issue! I had to return it becoz I felt like wearing an adult diapers! I like the sequins and the side bow tie but it's hard to pull off a "sequin diaper" no matter how hard I try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sequined diapers--we're obsessed! We're wearing ours with sky-high heels and a borrowed-from-the boys onesie."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hexicon- thank you!! I needed that laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *lol* hee heee Hexicon - You forgot to add that the onesie is low cut, that we raided Granny's jewelry box and we're wearing this to work. ;-)

    This is a great review, Alexis. I really like it because you explain why you wanted them & you're very specific about why they didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, bought these shorts with the idea that they would be really comfortable. I agree with Alexis that they're not as super soft as described, but I found them to still be comfortable. While I would never wear them out on the town (or even out in public, really - they're not particularly flattering, even for someone who doesn't have much of a rear end), I do find that I'm always grabbing them to throw on to go to the beach (private) or to wash my car or garden. Which I guess is why they initially referred to them as "sweats"... and that's exactly how I treat them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost always find linen or even linen blends to be itchy. I only buy linen or linen blends if I can try the item on in a store first b/c otherwise 99% of the time I have to return it. Sorry the shorts did not work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hexicon your comment is awesome! Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the reviews, ladies.

    alexis, i really like gap body's "girl short" - they are very comfortable and are great under skirts/dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks, Hexicon! (she said, effortlessly)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, I bought the sequin bloomers as well. I will have to re-examine the back view. They were cute from the front. Tried them with the grey and white buffalo mini check button down and grey pointelle tights and heels, similar to what they show on the website. They were also cute with the ivory cashmere popover. Anyone else have success with the sequin bloomers?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love my bloomers! I bought them in June and wear them, like a uniform, at least once a week. Until it got hot, I wore them with a white tank top and last year's library shawl cardigan. I bought a medium (I'm 5'9") and wear them low on my hips, so I don't have that diaper effect. My only complaint is that I got a small hole in them last week and they may be regulated to "sweat pant status".

    I'm old (in my 40's) so I am not trying to pair them with heels or a jacket. I treat them as purely lounge wear.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been in search of unique yarns to give my knitting a touch of luxury. Your post on luxe linen blends is a fantastic resource for those of us who want to explore new textures and elevate our knitting game.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)