Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Product Review: Gingham Schoolboy Blazer

Gingham Schoolboy Blazer
Click here for product page
Item 27098
Regular: $148.00
Now: $59.99

J.Crew describes this perfect-for-crisp-nights jacket as the following:
The perfect layering piece for alfresco dinners and brisk ocean breezes, our much-loved schoolboy blazer, updated for summer in lightweight cotton and a fresh, crisp gingham—the quintessential summer fabric (and one of our all-time favorites). Sized to fit and tailored with precision, it's destined to become your wear-it-everywhere wardrobe wonder. Notch collar. Long sleeves. Chest welt pocket, welt pockets with flaps, interior pockets. Functional buttons at cuffs. Partially lined. Hits at hip. Import. Machine wash.
I won't lie, I have a thing for that gingham pattern. From shirts, to shorts, to jackets— it screams Summer time (think sitting on a rocking chair at the back porch while sipping on some ice cold lemonade)! So when J.Crew came out with the Gingham Jacket earlier this year, I knew it would be mine. ;)

When it comes to sizing, I would say it is true to size as I went with a size 0. [I am now a size 0 in J.Crew's jackets due to vanity sizing. I was a size 2 back in J.Crew's 2007 collection. I should add, that I weigh the same since then.] It is very similar in fit to the Rose Vines Blazer from J.Crew as the jacket is fitted (refer to the "Product Review: Rose Vines Blazer" post). The shoulders fit well and so does the body.

The fabric is great— it's light and structured. Unlike the Rose Vines Jacket, this jacket keeps its shape very well. Also, the fabric is not stiff which makes the roll-up of jacket sleeves super easy. As for the sleeves, they look good rolled-up and not. (Unlike the Rose Vines Blazer, which seems to work only with the sleeves rolled-up.) Even more surprising, the buttons at the cuffs actually work! A nice touch by J.Crew.

The length of the jacket is great. It really does hit at the hip, so it is neither too short nor too long. :)

The only thing that struck me odd with the jacket is the lining, or lack there of... As stated in the description, the jacket is partially lined. But the part they left unlined is so little. You see the sleeves and the front part of the jacket is lined. Even the neck area inside has two over-lapping pieces of fabric making it semi-lined. The only part not lined is the lower back, which makes one wonder why J.Crew didn't bother to finish it off.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this jacket. Especially if you can find one at your local brick & mortar store for $41.99 (which is the price after the additional 30% off sale)!

What are your thoughts on the Gingham Schoolboy Blazer? Have you tried it on or own it? If so, please share! :)

12 comments:

  1. I own and LOVE this jacket. As with all JC jackets I had to take it in due to my weird shape--broad shoulders and a narrow torso. My take on the inside was a classic summer men's tailoring finish which I like. The buttons are nice too. It went out with the in-laws this weekend but is also fun with ratty old Levi 501s. My only issue is my husband got the men's version so we have to negotiate who gets to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my personal style but I see where this could be a great item for someone else. It's the kind of "classic with a twist" piece I'd like to see JC keep doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED this jacket when it debuted. Ended up buying and returning three times until I got it for a steal! For me, it is a great summer go to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gingham shirts and maybe even shorts, but I don't think I could work this jacket. I'm a little on the bigger side (not just sort of broad, but also borderline tall), and I find that if I wear a too-small or too-cutesy print, I just look sort of ridiculous. Like, nothing about me is delicate enough to pull off this jacket.

    However, I could definitely see it on some of y'all 0s and 2s and petites and such. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got it at Pentagon City B&M for $41.99 the other week. Only one there. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it too and always get compliments when I wear it!! Has a great fresh, crisp summer look and on sale is an amazing buy. I personally found that I had to size up to a 4P, because the 2P (which I usually wear) felt tight across the back. J Crew's sizing has been wacky for me as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have it but I think it's cute. If my wardrobe didn't already have an overabundance of gingham shirts, I'd probably buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanne--I wear mine with contrasting gingham shirts and it is really fun this way. I break it up with a pocket square.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so frustrated by vanity sizing! I tried this on at the store in a 0 and it was just too big. CrewCuts has a similar looking jacket, but they biggest size they had at the time was a 10, which was too small for me (depending on the cut and style, I wear a 12 cardigan). I know J.Crew isn't the only offender, but it's kinda embarrassing shopping in the kid's section.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought and returned the jacket. It is nice enough but did not have the Wow Factor I was hoping it would. I wore my usual jacket size in it and it fit fine. I wish it had been fully lined as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this jacket is so cute and I've tried it on at every markdown. I'm not bothered by the partial lining and I love that it's washable. It has the potential to make jeans, shorts and tees or a cute skirt into an outfit BUT even trying 3 sizes the shoulders wouldn't sit right. My normal size was perfect everywhere else but there were funny wrinkles at the shoulders I couldn't overlook. Congrats to Alexis and the other JCAs for whom it works.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)