Wednesday, December 7, 2011

J.Crew's Catalog Hall of Fame

Every once in awhile, J.Crew's 770 blog offers really interesting insight into their inner workings. Their "Catalog Hall of Fame" post is one of them:
Catalog Hall of Fame
some of the creative minds behind our catalog
share their favorite moments from over the years…
Sheilini, Catalog Art Director:
March 2008
“This is the front cover image of the catalog—we shot at Richard Neutra’s iconic 1946 Kaufmann House in Palm Springs. The house in the background was the perfect backdrop for the model sitting at the edge of the pool—it set the tone for things to come. And it was shot at night! How cool is that?”
Jack, Men’s Stylist:
June 2008
“This was shot in Morocco with British model and amateur boxer Will Chalker. We had a tight color palette of khaki, olive, white and orange, which worked perfectly in the desert. It was also one of our last catalogs shot with film, so the photos have a very ’60s cinematic feel.”
Gayle, Women’s Stylist:
Fall 2003
“My all-time favorite was the Ireland catalog. It truly marked J.Crew’s new beginning with Mickey and Jenna at the helm!”
Loves it! I really enjoyed seeing the older catalog shoots and learning about their back story. Keep these coming J.Crew! :)

8 comments:

  1. That is really interesting to me, thanks for posting. I thought Mickey and Jenna's influence started in September 2004 because that's when the catalogs started looking really different. The summer looked very outfit, outfit, and then that fall, it was like a beautiful magazine with location shots and the British influence. That catalog totally sucked me in and I then went to every J. Crew in the city (3) tried on everything and bought an embarrassing amount. There are still a couple of jackets I regret not buying that fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. March 08 is one of my favorite catalogs. Ever! I think it's to me what the Paris catalog is to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I began shopping at J.Crew in 2008. My favorite is still the Iceland holiday catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There have been some great catalogs - love the Iceland 2008 too! Also liked the Rome (Feb 08), Capri (Feb 07), and the London (Fall 05?) catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, but wish they'd post the whole catalogs! How sweet would that be!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The March 2008 catalog shot at the Kaufmann house is one of my all-time favorites, as well. I REALLY wish they would go back to doing the catalogs like they did back then. They were so enjoyable to look at. :)

    OT: Not sure if there are any Dexter fans on here or not, but in this week's episode (10) Debra Morgan was wearing the Noonday Stripe Shutterbug Top from Madewell (this is the second time she has worn it this season) and Maria La Guerta was wearing the Impressionist Pencil skirt from J.Crew. They were both in a scene together while wearing them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that it...only three pictures?? Come on, they need to load ALL the catalogs for us, or issue a 'book' of catalogs & release it for sale.

    Since the Fall 2003 picture is new to me, I enjoyed seeing it the most. It almost looks like it could be from this year. I also love the face of the model looking forward, in the orange tops, she reminds me of a cheshire cat. :)

    Thanks for posting Alexis. I don't always 'remember' to check out the JCrew blog (like I do JCA).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post. I obviously love Jcrew because these catalogs are ingrained in my brain (but I can't remember birthdays, etc.).

    I find that the years where I had little income because of school and Jcrew peaked are the years I remember the most because all I could do is wish. The infamous 2008 Iceland, London and Rome stick out to me the most. I must say though, of recent, the hollywood catalog was enjoyable too.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)