Wednesday, March 10, 2010

J.Crew as an American {fashion} Icon

There is an interesting article over at BNet touting J.Crew as becoming an American icon.

UPDATE: Entire article removed as a result of the following comment posted in this thread:
I'd have emailed, but couldn't find an address for you.

I'm Lydia's editor at CBS Interactive. I'd like to ask you to revise your post so that you're not reprinting Lydia's entire item without permission. Quoting a few paragraphs and linking back is fine; reposting the whole thing is not cool -- and is technically a copyright violation.

I do appreciate the fact that you included a link to the original, but that doesn't change the issue created by reprinting an entire blog post.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best, David Hamilton
My response: I did not know that. I have had authors contact me to post their entire article as it would drive traffic back to the original site. And as he noted I did have a link back to the original source, as well provided the author's name. I respect his decision to not have the article entirely re-posted. So I thought it was best to remove it altogether. Apologies for any inconvenience.

What are your thoughts on the article? Disagree or agree with any of the points made? Do you like seeing J.Crew's executives being used in the marketing campaign? Are there any marketing features you want to see more or less of?

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Lydia must be GUZZLING the crewlade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was kind of fascinating. Some days I am in awe of Jenna, some days I can't stand her overexposure, but it is hard to argue about the impact she has had on the brand, and I guess, as a result ... on American fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Jack and Frank; funny how we're all on a first name basis here, are doing a great job and I'm so pleased with the men's line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OT, but does anyone have IRL pics of the Beacon Hobo? Thx so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this an article or an advertisement? Really seems a bit too gushing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, Miss Masala had a terrible experience with an ebayer selling J.Crew jewelery. Here is a link to her blog with search results for her posts on some ebay fakes.

    http://missmasala.wordpress.com/?s=fake&x=0&y=0

    There is a lot of information in ebay to help people purchase from reputable sellers and ensure the goods are authentic.

    I don't have a lot of experience with ebay and I've only bought one Anthropologie necklace this Sunday and it hasn't arrived yet. The seller had 100% positive feedback on less than 50 txns, the price was not ridiculously cheap and I confirmed that the photos in the listing were of the actual necklace. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OT: Take 40% off one full price item at Banana Republic:


    D1C1CMD6XXKQ

    Ends in about 15 min at 9p, PST

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in Australia and absolutely love J Crew. So it has already gone global. I've never stepped foot in a J Crew store but read quite a few American magazines. I loved the clothes and yes it did remind me quite a bit of Ralph Lauren. I've never really clicked that is why I may like it so much. I have loads of Ralph lauren in my wardrobe.

    Michelle Obama wearing J Crew is now well known and put it on the map here. I wish they opened shops in Australia. Until they do I simply have to buy it from the states and use a parcel forwarding service. I particularly love the colours. For some reason black dominates in most collecions so colour is a breath of fresh air. The beaded and embellished items and the classic lines are fabulous. I prefer pieces that are timeless and I think J Crew are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. xoxo, I thought the same thing. I actually did a google search on the author to see if she works in PR. The article is definitely OTT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear readers:
    Thanks for your comments on my BNET story. Just to be clear (Jeanne and xoxo), I am definitely NOT in PR nor have I ever worked for J. Crew. In my role at BNET, I am an analyst which means I follow the ups and downs of businesses pretty carefully. The fact that J. Crew is one of the few retailers that came through the last two years with a healthy balance sheet speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alexis: I'd have emailed, but couldn't find an address for you.

    I'm Lydia's editor at CBS Interactive. I'd like to ask you to revise your post so that you're not reprinting Lydia's entire item without permission. Quoting a few paragraphs and linking back is fine; reposting the whole thing is not cool -- and is technically a copyright violation.

    I do appreciate the fact that you included a link to the original, but that doesn't change the issue created by reprinting an entire blog post.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Best, David Hamilton
    david DOT hamilton AT cbs DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lydia Dishman - I see lots of UPS, where are the DOWNS?

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)