Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Product Review: Keds® for Madewell Polka-Dot Sneakers

Keds® for Madewell Polka-Dot Sneakers
Click here for product page
Item# 87406
Regular: $50.00

Madewell describes these adorable pair of sneakers as:
A marriage made in sneaker heaven. We teamed up with the all-American brand to cover their iconic canvas sneakers in a series of our favorite prints for spring. The result: this adorable spotted style. (Polka dots on Keds? Yes, please!)
Let me start out by saying I am a big fan of Keds. I remember them well from my childhood. I am happy to see they are having a resurgence in popularity again.

Last year I ended up buying a pair of solid black Keds from Anthropologie (of all places!) These were my first pair in a really long time. I completely forgot how incredibly comfortable they are and how timeless they look thanks to its classic canvas sneaker style.

When I saw Madewell offered polka dot Keds, it was a no-brainer for me. I had to get them. Now that I have them, I could not be happier. They look exactly like the pair in the picture. I love the entire color combo of blue and white polka-dots, with a tan leather-like trim. It is perfect for Spring and Summer.

As for size, they are true to size for me. I am always (as in 99% of the time) a size 9. I got a size 9 and the fit is perfect. For reference, I am always a size 9 in J.Crew's ballet flats and heels too.

Lastly, I want to mention the inserts on the shoes- they are divine! Not only do they have a cushion insole & heel, but there is a shock-proof arc cushion! A lot of shoes do not include an arc cushion- so I am especially grateful to see them here. Thanks to these touches, the Keds® for Madewell Polka-Dot Sneakers will be my go-to walking-around sneakers.

You can see a glimpse of the sneakers in real life in the photo above. (You can find the pair in the upper right hand corner. Click on the image to view larger.) This image comes from Closet Crisis's "One Too Many Closets" blog, in her "The Blue Train" post.

What are your thoughts on the Keds for Madewell collaboration? Are you a fan of the polka-dot sneakers? Have you seen or tried on these shoes? If so, please share! :)

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link love, Alexis! If I was younger, I'd be all over these Keds. I had the solid ones (navy, blue, red...) in high school and they were such awesome shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how very cute! Thanks for the review, Alexis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love... soooooooooo cute. Thanks Alexis...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute, Alexis! Enjoy! If I hadn't picked up some striped bow flats (not the Viv) at JC yesterday, I might think about these! They do bring back some great memories - I wore Keds in the 60's! Yikes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried them on in the multicolor stripe, and loved them! the only reason I didn't grab them and run out of the store chortling, was that I was afraid I'd get them dirty on city streets and be heartbroken. Very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remove the laces and you have my junior high school look.

    Glad to hear Keds still makes wonderful shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh for crying out loud, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO POINT OUT THESE SHOES?!?! LOL. Of course I'll have to try them. The polka dot forcefield is very strong, so very strong in my world. These are too adorable for words! Thanks for the review, Alexis :)

    Gosh I used to love my Keds back in elementary/middle school. How cool that they are making a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. I got some 'fake' Keds from Gap and Old Navy last year when everyone started issuing their own versions. I have kinda big feet and this style of sneaker/shoe somehow makes my long feet look even longer, like duck feet!

    I'm between sizes too, so that doesn't help either.

    I will be skipping out on buying any more of this type of shoe, but happy for y'all who love them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! You will have to get the Spot Show Cardigan now too to go with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Keds, too! This pair is great...I might have considered it, but my high-schooler is rockin' the Keds these days, hence I would be in sooo much trouble if I got a pair, too, you know :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like the polka dot version, but I struggle with choosing an outfit with Keds that doesnt make me look like a teenager again. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! I have no idea what kind of outfit to put together, especially with the polka dot version. These are so cute though!

      I love Keds, so classic, but I feel like either a kid in them or...my mother. She always rocks her white Keds. She looks great, but I need to find a way to not to look too young or too old when wearing them. Someone tell me there is a way! :)

      Delete
  13. Madewell has some great shoes right now. I want those polka dot ballet flats!

    http://thechicaddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm currently wait listed for these, so I'm really hoping they come! I've been looking for a pair of cute comfy sneakers and these are exactly what I wanted. Of course I don't live near a store (Madewell please come to CO!!) and by the time I ordered them online they were wait listed. I've had good experience with that from Madewell so far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for confirming my "have to have these" Alexis! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ajr, I would call a store and ask them to do a charge/send. Even if they don't have the item in stock, they can see which store has the inventory available and have them shipped directly from the store.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rose. I did consider that, but I just hate to pay shipping. I got them and the holepunch sandals in red (which I also love, and are also waitlisted) with the current free shipping promo on the site. I figure if they don't come, then it is really not the end of the world! Something else always comes along, you know? :) But thanks for the suggestion! And I still want a Madewell near me! :)

      Delete
    3. Hi ajr, I actually did what Rose had suggested and they don't charge to ship if it is a full priced item!! It's great, that is how I got my first pair a green garland skimmers. It's worth a try, HTH good luck

      Delete
    4. Hm, thanks MB! I may just have to try that! :)

      Delete
  15. I like Keds alright, but prefer the look of the Bensimon lace-up canvas and rubber sneakers. I think Madewell sells those too! Since discovering the Bensimons, I wear them every summer. Still love the Keds, too, though. If ever my supply of Bensimons runs dry, I'll go for the Keds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The keds are cute but I prefer the look of the Bensimons too. Madewell has white, with laces, & white & grey elastic sneakers on sale, in very limited sizes. The color elastic sneakers are cute but I'm not sure if I like them as much as the white. Maybe in light blue!

      Delete
  16. I just came back from the local store and althought they didn't carry the polka dot shoes, they were able to locate them for me without shipping charge!!i hope I will love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Shoes!

    -Charlotte
    http://incharlottesshoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)