Thursday, November 4, 2010

JCA attends the J.Crew Fall/ Holiday 2010 Insiders Fashion Event in NYC

As mentioned in the "J.Crew's Holiday 2010 Collection Is Here" and "J.Crew Fall/Holiday 2010 Insiders Fashion Event {N..." posts, J.Crew hosted an event with American Express to showcase their upcoming Holiday collection.

"Thanks!" to Roxy (in this post) who shared with us her experience at the fashion event:
I was at the event on Thursday nite. I thought J.Crew and American Express did an exceptional job putting on the event. They started letting people in promptly at 6:30, giving us each a small white envelope with our $25 gift cards inside. Inside (cute) caterers circulated with amuse bouches and cocktails, including a delicious pomegranate drink I want to learn how to make!

Ms. Lyons, Ms. Webb and Mr. Muytjens mingled with the crowd from the very beginning to the very end of the event, which was a welcome change from some events I've attended where the designers stay in a VIP section for most of the night and do maybe a quick 30-second meet-and-greet. I spoke to Ms. Lyons for a few minutes and she was gracious enough not only to pose for a photo, but also to help me pair a sweater with the Twilight Shift I'd decided to buy. I have spoken to her at four or five events now and she's been nice, approachable and humble each time.

There were plenty of mannequins to inspire and the audience wasn't too big -- I would estimate 150 people total, and it was only crowded for about 15 minutes.

One thing that was not mentioned in the Fashionista article that I thought JCAs would like to know...in her address to the crowd, Ms. Lyons mentioned that she's taken a less active role in the actual designs now that she's the company's president and it sounded like really the last few seasons. It's up to Ms. Webb and the team these days.

Heather wasn't sure what the gift with purchase over $150 was in her blog post, but I can report you had a choice. It was either the Bling Blossom Bracelet or a necklace I didn't recognize (here's a pic). I loved the gift bag we got too. All in all it was truly a delightful event.
It's always fun to hear these first hand accounts- it makes me feel like I was there too. In particular, this event sounds like it was amazing! :)

It's also interesting to hear that Jenna Lyons will take a less active role in design. I know in a previous article we discussed Marissa Webb stepping it up, but it's hard to think that Jenna won't have some say in the direction of J.Crew.

What are your thoughts on the fashion event from J.Crew? :)

9 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like an awesome event! What a nice way to kick off the Holiday season. It will be very interesting to see what Ms. Webb and Ms. Lyons will come up with. Hope it will go in a direction that will please everyone! *waiting in anticipation!*

    I think that necklace is the Crystal Donut necklace. I bought the matching Crystal Donut bracelet (item# 32623) but unfortunately it did not work out for me. I am selling it in the weekly exchange if anyone is interested!

    elenaliu at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing your experience Roxy! :) (Btw, mamaliu is right, the necklace is the Crystal Donut Necklace.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alexis and Tina for posting about this last month -- I never would have known about the event otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fab time.

    Does anyone know when the Holiday items will roll out online and in non-NYC stores?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! you LUCKY dog! I wish they would take these shows on the road and maybe the road less traveled at that. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. free gift for $150

    W- bracelet-
    http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/jewelry/bracelets/PRDOVR~31566/99102135428/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~20+17+4294966897~45~~~~~~~/31566.jsp

    M - scarf-
    http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/seasonal/PRDOVR~30919/30919.jsp


    free gift for showing up
    W - clutch-
    http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/bags/leatherbags/PRDOVR~31074/31074.jsp

    M - shoe-horn & note pads-
    http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/necessaryluxuries/PRDOVR~18889/18889.jsp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always exciting things happening in NY! Thanks for sharing, Roxy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was there too and I spoke to Jenna and Marissa both and they were really nice and fun and chatty.

    Also, by the time I left there were no more gift bags, but the marketing/promo firm that was handling the event marked off my name and they shipped them to my parents house (I still sue their mailing address). That was really nice, they could have just said, "sorry!"

    Pics from the event from the roaming photog:

    http://billyfarrellagency.com/home/event/369

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun Fun Fun! I wish I was there!

    Thanks for the details!

    I wish my local B&Ms had special events. Maybe they do and I just don't know about them? I suspect I would get caught up in the glamour and buy a ton of stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)