Friday, February 26, 2010

J.Crew Email: Free shipping on jewelry...3 days only

A big "thanks!" to Marietta, as well as Silver_Lining (in this post), who let us know about another offer from J.Crew: free shipping (no minimum!) on all jewelry items (no code needed). To shop their jewelry online, click here. I should also add, that this promotion automatically applies to both full-priced *and* sale priced jewelry. {wahoo!} This offer expires 2/28/10.

One particular piece of jewelry featured in the above email is the Crystal Rock Necklace (Item 26074; $128.00). This necklace has been discussed on the blog before (refer here). "Thanks!" to TweedyBird who shared with us an article over at Fashionista (click here) about this very necklace.
Adventures in Copyright: J.Crew Loves Flutter, Too Much
By Britt Aboutaleb
February 25, 2010

In the spring of 2009, Jill Golden wrapped crystals in mesh chains to make necklaces for her new line, Flutter. She used clear stones in pink, purple, and turquoise, and chains in gunmetal, silver, rose gold and gold. They cost about $350.

Considering how far in advance J.Crew plans their collections, it was probably just a few months later that their jewelry team whipped up this identical piece, with its matching bracelet.

We know New York based indie-designers are on J.Crew’s radar. They’ve just collaborated with Fenton-Fallon and have other partnerships planned for the future–so if they’re fans of Golden’s work, the least they could’ve done is invite in her in for a chat. Instead, they’ve just re-made her design for spring and charged about half the price.
Wow! I have to agree with the author that the two necklaces share a striking resemblance. However, I won't be getting either version. ;) I witness the ginormous size of the necklace in-person at my local store recently. Too much, way too much. (For a real life image, refer to HeidiG's "The DC JCAs Go Legal" post where the necklace is actually beautifully worn by DinaGideon. However, the necklace is still too big for my liking. )

Lastly, the email also reminds us that J.Crew is partnering with the "Fashion for Haiti" campaign to support the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. Customers can now buy online the Fashion for Haiti Tee (Item 30123; $25.00). According to the website:
A little tee with a big conscience: 100 percent of the profits from the sale of this limited-edition T-shirt will be donated by the CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America) to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund, which is raising funds for immediate, high-impact relief and long-term recovery efforts to help those in Haiti who are most in need of assistance. For more information, visit cfda.com.
Will you be taking advantage of this latest promotion? Are there any pieces of jewelry that interest you? If so, please share! :) Do you think the J.Crew necklace shares any resemblance to the Flutter version?

18 comments:

  1. I don't know if anyone has added this yet but the Vintage Stripe Zebra dress is now online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone know if you can combine this with the extra 30 promotion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah: Thanks for letting us know! :)

    Lauren PhD: Yes you can! I placed an order this morning on a Final Sale necklace and got the 30% off & free shipping. It's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leah... I wondered when that would finally happen! Love that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I try to like JCrew jewelry it just doesn't appeal to me. I know there are a few smaller pieces out there but my neck and wrist hurt just thinking about wearing some of them:)

    Free shipping is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have ordered if it was % off jewelry with free shipping. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. jcrewphd,

    That is what I think too!!! I did find a small (not huge) necklace my sister would probably like and was thinking of getting it for her as a gift and kept wondering why extra30 did not work and then I realized it was NOT a sale necklace so I passed.

    Yes, I would have bought if it was % off and free ship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI, the free shipping is only for the jewelry. I ordered some earrings and FS items and still got charged for shipping ($14.50), and should have been in the next bracket for shipping, but the earrings were not factored in. So, if your total order amount is low, you probably won't be charged shipping. This was all just explained to me by my PS. The email is VERY misleading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get really, really angry when mass retailers rip off small designers. It's why I no longer shop at Urban Outfitters. That pink necklace was no accident, and I think it's an awful thing for JC to do. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to peek at the Flintstones necklace IRL, but the local B&M already sold the ones they got in! They still had a couple of the bracelets, with the same size stones. The color is really pretty, and the effect of the chains around the stones is actually pretty cool, but the size is just... humunga cowabunga for me. The Coletto is just about the perfect size, so that will be a sale stalker for sure. On the whole, it's nice to see the store so stocked up again even if it's not the most inspired collection. One of these days, my daughter won't be in such a crabby mood and I'll be able to have a decent browse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the flutter necklace is actually pretty cute. It appears to be smaller than the Flinstones necklace at J.Crew, but that could just be the pic.

    Nothing for me with the free shipping on jewelry unless there's a really fantastic restock in the sale section.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OT...I love how the DC JCAs got together dinner and Crewlade. I also love the photo, which showed all the ways women put J Crew together.

    While I read lots of fashion magazines, real women inspire me the most.

    If there are any JCAs in the Raleigh/Durham area who want to get together, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Netdeva, I'm in Apex, am I close enough? :-) I know there's at least 1 other JCA on here who's from the RDU area. I've met lots of my Internet peeps IRL through various message boards, etc. It's always a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took a look around the jewelry section just to see if something struck my fancy...and I couldn't find a single thing I would wear. J.Crew jewelry just doesn't suit my style very well. Those who wear it, wear it very well, so hopefully y'all will find some good deals with this promo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. FFM: I'm with you! I keep looking for one!

    Has anyone actually tried the huge Crystal Rock Necklace. The more I see it, the more I'm intrigued! Please someone order it and do a review! I want IRL pics! I already return too much from online, or I would do it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just saw this necklace and the J.Crew Trench in this month's Vogue. The copper version of the necklace with pinkish stones actually looks nice on the model in Vogue. Still on me I think it would gigantic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this necklace today and I agree that it is way too big. I like the color of stones and I like the chain, but the size is rather off-putting. I like a statement necklace, but I also like light-weight jewelry. :) Normally there are several jewelry pieces that I'm interested in, but I didn't see anything today IRL that I thought I'd love to have.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Netdeva, I am in RDU. There are several of us here. I'd love to do a get together. I was trying to arrange a meet up around the time J Crew was cracking down on "blogger parties" last spring. Maybe we can try it again?

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)