Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Product Review: Marled Thandie Blazer

Marled Thandie Blazer
Click here for product page
Item 29305
Regular $158.00
Now $99.99 (Online)
Now $89.99 (In Store)

J.Crew describes this jacket as follows:
Our design team's latest blazer brilliance? Knit. In cotton/wool jacquard with a brushed surface (we love its supple handfeel and speckled character), this double-breasted classic boasts a soft, drapey blazer fit that feels easy and modern. Adding to the chic factor are raw-edge seams. Lapel collar. Long sleeves. Welt pockets. Buttons at cuffs. Back vent. Partially lined. Hits at hip. Import. Dry clean.
Let me start by saying that my receipt labels this jacket as the "Wool Haberdashery Molly Jacket". Not sure why, but there you have it. Now onto the jacket... Loves it!

I never gave this jacket any thought when I saw it online. However, I really loved it after seeing it in-person at the store. I think it is because of the way J.Crew styled the model (who is gorgeous). The online photos do not do this jacket justice. It looks boxy online, while it is more fitted in real-life. (That is why the image above, sans model, is more accurate of the jacket's fit.)

I got this jacket in Heather Graphite and I found it true to its color name. (The shade that appears online is true to real-life.) It works beautifully dressed down with jeans or dressed up with a nice pair of black pants.

As for the fit, I took a size 0. Although there was no size 2 for me to compare to, I think sizing up would work fine too. I found that the jacket fit me perfectly in the body. It looks fitted from the front, although from the side there is some swing to it. Not alot, but just a little.

It is also snug in the shoulders and arms. That is right, the arms! (It was a bit weird at first, because I wasn't expecting that.) There is some stretch to the jacket thanks to the material (55% Cotton, 41% Wool, 4% Nylon). So wearing long sleeve tees and blouses should be fine.

As for the material's weight, it's by no means too thin or too heavy. It is the kind of jacket you will wear comfortably for Fall's crisp days.

The style is great too. It hits perfectly at the hip and it looks great either open or closed.

For great reviews & real life images of this jacket, please check out:
What are your thoughts on the Marled Thandie Blazer? Have you seen or own this jacket? If so, what is your review of the fit & style? Would you recommend it to another fellow JCA?

11 comments:

  1. I tried this in my normal size and a size down and found the arms to be snug in both cases. However, after moving around for a bit it loosened up a little bit. I liked the fit of the sized down since it was less boxy. I like the fit overall since it's made of less structured fabric and I felt pretty comfortable in it. However, I worry a bit about the "raw-edged seams" and hopefully it holds up well.
    Oh, what is up with the $10 price difference from online and B&M? Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it and I love it! Haven't worn it out yet for a couple of reasons: It's still kinda warm in New Jersey, and it looks a bit ridiculous over my 9-month prego belly. But in a few weeks, I will definitely be rocking it around town.

    Thanks for the review. I think it looks cuter in person too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!

    I ordered this jacket and found the style to be super cute and flattering, but the marled colour was not quite what I was expecting it to be - I liked it better in the online photo. I found it a bit slimmer fitting than other JC jackets (the Schoolboy, for instance), in a good way, but not so slim fitting that I would size up. It is fairly cropped though. I sent it back kinda regretfully, but it is a very cute little jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this jacket, too! I actually sized up to a 2 (after much dressing room debate) for the smidge of length in the torso and to be able to wear more than a thin shirt without feeling constricted.

    When buttoned up the sz0 was also a little snug in the chest and I'm a 34A so larger busted ladies, beware final sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review Alexis! I like the look of the blazer and the fact that it is a knit but the raw edges were a deal-breaker for me. I know it's very current to have these raw edges but it just isn't me.

    I'm sure you wer it very well and it's nice to read a review of what you've bought and liked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of double-breasted jackets, so this one was a no for me. However, my friend tried it on in-store and it did look nice on her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review Alexis :) I tried it on a short while ago, and am on the fence about it. I liked the marled colourway, and the double breasted design. But would like to try on the solid Thandie in a petite size just for comparison. I don't think I want to lose any length in the body, although the sleeves will fit better. Urgh... too many if's, gonna be a pass for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! :) I am happy to hear this jacket worked for some of you too. It's definitely one of those pieces you have to see in-person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FYI- I believe this is marked down again and is now $49.99 or $59.99 in stores. My store had only a few left and not in my size:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. FYI,

    I went to Polaris in Columbus today and stopped by J Crew. They had this jacket in my size and I decided to buy it. I took it up to the register and said "it's too bad you don't have 30% off like online" and was told that they could match the 30% off, but it would be final sale and I could not return it. Final price, $34.99 plus tax!

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)