Thursday, October 9, 2008

J.Crew Hosts A Book Reading

"Thanks!" to an anonymous member of the blog who let us know about a recent article (click here) over at Racked:

Events: J.Crew Tells Men What They Should Know
by Leslie Price

October 8, 2008


Last night,
J.Crew hosted a reading of their new book What a Man Should Know. The venue was the rare books room at the Strand, a suitably dusty and removed space on the third floor of a building next to the store at 826 Broadway. The little red volume, penned by British author Max Blagg and illustrated by Hugo Guinness, was stacked about the space. Well-dressed guests, among them J.Crew CEO Mickey Drexler, flipped through it while sipping from complimentary cocktails or noshing on little short rib-filled pastries. Then, Blagg stepped up to the podium to read through a few of the 50 things a man should know (example: A man should know what to say to a sommelier. Not much. Let him impress you with his knowledge, and find you a wine that is both delicious and reasonably priced.) The tips were well received, but the laughter really began when Blagg moved on to selections from a ribald work-in-progress.

The book reading sounded like a fun and interesting event. I wonder how people knew to attend this event. (Did J.Crew market this event? Was it held for a select few or open to the public?) :)

What are your thoughts about J.Crew hosting a reading for this book (do you like or dislike)? Did you attend (or know about) the event?

8 comments:

  1. Good cross marketing. I think that book would make a fun white elephant exchange or holiday gift in general.

    OT -- if anyone is interested in a cashmere 2-button tee in Snow, size S, NWOT email me gigiofca @ gmail. $55 shipped, which is a little less than what I paid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea. I am getting my DH this book to put in his stocking at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how I feel about this...on one hand we continue to hear how J.Crew can't offer stackable codes or free shipping because they basically can't *afford* to, but then we hear about money being spent to hold book readings and give away cupcakes and mojitos...I think money should be spent where it benefits the majority of customers, and not just those close enough to attend these kinds of events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I posted the following entry last night on another blog:

    The event was from 7-9pm at the Strand bookstore in nyc. At the event, they gave away the books for free..they also had jcrew neckties there with “Strand” on them (very cool)..I think they will be selling them at the liquor store. The event was not crowded at all. It was mostly jcrew staff and friends of Max Blagg there.
    I did meet Mr. Drexler briefly…I said hi and introduced myself and thanked him for holding this event..i also told him that he is going a great job at jcrew.
    I also spoke with Hugo Guinness and Max Blagg (both were very down to earth and did not mind conversing for a while)..they both signed my book!! I received an invite to the event by signing the mailing list book at the Liquor store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tarik, I'm jealous, sounds like a great evening. Now I definitely will be buying the book. I like how J.Crew isn't just discounting items, but enriching the brand. Too many times retailers just discount and by doing that they devalue the brand. Part of why I love J.Crew is that it's special; and if it was deeply discounted it would lose some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tarik: I echo J.Crew Guy In Canada's comment that it sounded like a great evening. Thank you so much for sharing the details of the event- very cool! Also, the tie sounds fantastic- what a clever promotion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am still in a dream like state (maybe because of the free whiskey cocktails)...i also met andy spade and j crew's head of mens design. I hope that i get invited to more events like this...

    jcrew guy in canada:
    I totally agree with you that jcrew is a special brand
    alexis: the ties are a cool promotion item...i was going to take one in addition to the book until the Strand staff said that the ties were not free however, there were no pricing signs at all and jcrew staff were snatching them up and tieing them on)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tarik: It really sounds like a wonderful event! If there is another event like that one, I am planning to go! :) Also, getting to talk to Hugo and Max sounds awesome- congrats! I also can't wait to see those ties being sold in their stores. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)