Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Is J.Crew Coming to Paris?

The following is from the Fashion One's Fashion Blog (click here to read in its entirety):
J.Crew eyes France for expansion
By Fashion One 
November 6, 2014

The American retailer is continuing to grow in Europe, expanding out from London to the French capital.

J.Crew is soon to land in Paris with two new stores set to arrive in the city's famed Marais district (one for men, one for women). The brand will also be opening a fifth store in London.

"Paris is one of the great fashion and consumer cities in the world, and lots of French customers are shopping in our New York stores -- it wasn't a difficult choice," explained J. Crew CEO Mickey Drexler to WWD.

The Paris women's store will open in March on Rue Malher, with 1,830 square feet (170 square meters) of shopping space and a renovated wooden storefront, with stone interior walls, and oak, marble and brass details.

The slightly smaller men's store will arrive in September next year, and will reportedly resemble the J. Crew Liquor Store in New York's TriBeCa. The fifth London store will also arrive in 2015 and will be housed in a former bank on Marylebone High Street.
This is such exciting news! I think J.Crew will fit very nicely in Paris. Yes, there is a lot of competition. However, there are also a lot of tourists who will be eager to stop and shop at J.Crew. Also, the French retail scene does not employ sales as often (I think traditionally it is twice a year), so that should delight J.Crew CEO Mickey Drexler.

But the real question is: What will the French customers think of all the French-phrase clothing at J.Crew? ;)

What are your thoughts on J.Crew's latest international expansion? Are you excited to see J.Crew moving to Paris?

4 comments:

  1. It'll be interesting at best. I spend time in Paris each year and when I shop I steer clear away from any "chain" stores that we have here in the States. The boxy sweaters and shirts from J. Crew--I dunno how those will sell . Those Parisians have their clothing tailored so nicely--especially the men. I almost passed out when I saw Forever 21 in Paris--GAP has been there for a while so it won't come as a suprise, I suppose. I'll still shop the small boutiques on Rue Bonaparte--but the locals may welcome J. Crew with open arms--and purses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big mistake....IMO. France is not J Crewish !
    I doubt it will go over well....How has J Crew faired in London?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dubious. Then again, many Parisians already believe that Americans know nothing about the process from sketch to pattern maker to cutter to.... so it probably won't change the opinions of the convinced. And I've noticed that the Theory store on the Rue St Honoré often looks crowded. I'm going to give this some thought.

    Meanwhile I'm still recovering from a long night, will someone please tell me I hallucinated the gold sequin romper in the window of the Collection Store? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I saw it, it's not an hallucination (although I was on bus and this close to faint after an Odyssey to Macy's on Veterans Day, so I may have hallucinated myself). I thought the gold sequined cropped pants next to it looked interesting though! At least they are festive!

      Delete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)