Tuesday, October 11, 2011

J.Crew's Jenna Lyons {let's quote!}

The Brandon Sun has an article (click here to read in its entirety) about J.Crew's entrance to Canada. The following are just some quotes that I thought were worth sharing (with commentary beneath each one):
  • Lyons said the retailer thinks of itself as a company rooted in classic clothes with a twist, and finds customers typically bring their individual sense of personal style to the forefront. "For me, it's about that sort of classic element you can make your own," she said in an interview.
    "Classic with a twist" is J.Crew's go-to phrase. They use it every season. And yet, it works because it is true.
  • "We're not looking for you to dress head to toe J. Crew — although, of course, we would love it if you did. But that's not what our expectations are. We love customers who put their own spin on things.
    I like this quote. I have been known to dress in all J.Crew, but I like that J.Crew pieces work so well with other brands.
  • "It's not about a demographic, it's not about a specific person, it's not about a specific style — it's about having your own style and liking a piece," she added. "That's a great entry point for a lot of people."
    I am pretty sure there is a demographic that J.Crew specifically targets. Every time I enter a J.Crew store, I check out the customers and they tend to dress the same. Nothing wrong with that, considering I am dressed like the rest too! ;)
  • "Not that we don't think about what's happening in the economy, but for us, where we're concerned is: 'Is the customer there? Will they understand our brand? Will they be receptive to our brand? Do they know who we are? Do they care who we are?'" she said.
    I often think the same thing (do they know who we are? do they care who we are?) about J.Crew and this blog's community! ;) But in all seriousness, it is great that J.Crew thinks about their customers. :)
  • "Our business right now in the United States is healthy even though things right now are challenging," she added. "No matter what happens, we have to just continue doing what we're doing and just keep pushing forward."
    I like that optimism! From the recent collections, I agree that they should continue on the current path. (I like what I am seeing and I want to see more of it! And more of it in red.)
  • [On Michelle Obama] "She'll wear an Alaia skirt with a J. Crew cardigan, and I think that really says to people you can mix it in with your own clothing," Lyons said. "It says to people who have more money 'You can wear J. Crew,' and it says to people who don't have as much money that it's not about wearing head-to-toe anything. You can mix it up and do whatever you want."
    I admire First Lady Michelle Obama. However, J.Crew has really over utilized the connection in their media efforts. I don't even think Ms. Obama wore J.Crew recently.
What are your thoughts on Jenna Lyons quotes? Did any quote stick out for you? If so, which one?

1 comment:

  1. Michelle Obama was photographed just last week wearing a J.Crew red and camel argyle sweater that I think is from the fall collection. Couple of weeks before I am pretty sure she was supporting a J.Crew belt that I have been stalking.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)