Thursday, April 2, 2009

J.Crew Does Yo-Yo Tricks {kind of}

DUNCAN® Crossed Flag Yo-Yo
with box and tricks

Click here for product page
Item 18408
Regular: $14.50

"Thanks!" to Julie for letting us know about one of J.Crew's most unlikely product offerings... a Duncan 1955-style Yo-Yo!

I have to say, that I love that the "classic hardwood-maple tournament yo-yo" also known as the "Crossed Flag—it's a Duncan original" comes with a book of tricks.

The only thing is I am not really sure why J.Crew is offering this product. I guess it goes right up there with the Max Blagg's chewed pencils, offered for $25 each at the Tribeca men's store (refer to this post). ;)

What are your thoughts on J.Crew offering the Duncan Yo-Yo? Do you think it is a good idea for J.Crew to occasionally offer other firm's products?

10 comments:

  1. Eh, it's a quirk. It adds to the stores' feel & "lifestyle" they're promoting. I don't see myself picking up a yo-to again however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Yeah okay J Crew, I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they go on sale for about 1/2 price, I would buy one for my little girl:) esp. as an add along in order to get free shipping if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's for crewcuts, select stores carry them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. $25 for chewed pencils? ugh! nasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anony@11:31
    Yes, I think we are aware that it is for Crewcuts but in essence it is still JCrew (company) selling these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked at a specialty toy store in college and we sold a variety of yo-yos including the one in the catalog. Duncan yo-yos also come in a variety of styles and you can buy a nice one for $5-10.

    I think they are featured as a crewcuts item because J. Crew thinks if you are picking out a t-shirt or sweater for a kid, you might want to purchase a toy, too. It's also a nostaligic item from a lot of mom/dad/grandparents' childhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun little add on...seems to go along with other name brand items (Timex, etc.) they seem to be adding to their line.

    On the other hand, I would prefer they focus on quality control. Seems to be seriously lacking...big time.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)