Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Men's Fashion Trends for 2009

"Thanks!" goes to J.Crew Guy in Canada who let us know that J.Crew was spotted at Omiru (Style For All) (click here). In particular, the post discusses the latest fashion trends for Men this Summer of '09 that features several J.Crew pieces (4 out of 5!)
2009 Mens Fashion: Wearable Mens Fashion Trends
for Summer 2009

By Omiru

June 10th, 2009


Mens fashion trends for Summer 2009 range from the tailored to the rugged to the preppy. Think white jeans, pocketed parkas, classic slim fit v-neck sweaters, moccasins, sharp blazers, and classic Ray Ban Clubmaster Sunglasses. But what are our favorite items that actually deserve a place in your closet? Omiru’s guide to summer 2009 mens fashion trends cuts to the chase to deliver the five items you’ll be reaching for over and over this summer.


Baseball Jacket

Featuring: Baracuta G10 Slimfit Sport Harrington Jacket
$130 (approx) at Baracuta


Is there anything more reminiscent of Americana than the classic baseball jacket? Brings us back to the good old days - when the sport was more about the players and less about performance drugs. For those of you who want to evoke that Americana spirit, we have a classic baseball jacket (though ironically made by a British company) that’s even better than the original. We’re digging the slim cut on Baracuta’s Harrington jacket–it puts the style back into the sport.


Lightweight Shawl Collar Sweater
Featuring: Linen Cotton Caine Shawl Cardigan
$88 at J Crew


You loved shawl collar sweaters last Winter in chunky knits. Now, continue your love affair with the shawl collar with a lightweight cotton version of the sweater that’s destined to become a classic. Perfect for those balmy summer nights—or days in heavily air conditioned rooms. BTW–these sweaters have to be our favorite 2009 mens fashion trend.


Horizontal Stripes

Featuring: Lightweight Cotton Wool Admiral Stripe Crewneck
$62 at J Crew


We called Horizontal Stripes as a key menswear trend way back when, in April 2008. But it’s just as relevant now as it was then. Not to mention that The Upgrader over at men.style.com featured these stylish stripes last month in a horizontal stripe trend report piece (btw, we love the tongue-in-cheek “cost per stripe” calculation on each item). The key takeaway? Wear these horizontal stripes—on t-shirts, sweaters, and even hoodies.


Madras Plaid Shorts

Featuring: Olive Madras Club Short
$59.50 at J Crew


Crisp and light, Madras plaid is named after its city of origin, a warm city in Southern India. True to its roots, Madras plaid is carefree, youthful, and colorful. Add in a dose of preppy—and they’re the perfect fabric for a pair of summer shorts. Get your plaid on with a versatile green-and-blue pattern from J Crew. Fun fact about Madras plaid? In the US, Madras plaid is a popular summer choice for both men and women. But back in India, it’s worn almost exclusively by men.


Aviator Sunglasses

Featuring: Selima Optique for J Crew Aviator Sunglasses
$198 at J Crew


Aviators have been popular since the 1960s, but they’re back with a Top Gun like rage this summer. The teardrop shape of these sunglasses is flattering on a variety of face shapes. Plus, their oversized style makes them a celebrity favorite. Grab a pair of designer aviators for a price that’s somewhat less than designer (though still not cheap, we know). It’s worth it though – Selima Optique is known for their luxury sunglasses.
The list is a good one, but I think the baseball jacket has an age limit (in particular, guys under the age of 30). Knowing my husband, he would not wear the baseball jacket. And he probably wouldn't wear the Madras shorts either (although I think a man of any age would wear them).

What are your thoughts on the trends offered? Do you disagree or agree with any of them? What are your predictions for "what's hot" for men this summer?

15 comments:

  1. Going OT straight away -- I spoke w/SF Centre Westfield to ask about an item and they informed that they currently have no sale pieces. It was all shipped back to the warehouse. Guess we'll be looking for some popbacks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would not wear anything in the photo except maybe the sunglasses, which he used to sport ten years ago.

    I like madras shorts but my husband associates them with early twenty-year olds / college days attire and refuses to wear them.

    Thanks for the post Alexis and JCrewGuyInCanada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those madras club shorts! I recently got the club shorts in corded cotton, and the cut this year is great - not too baggy, not too slim - and the lightweight fabric is great as ever. The only downside is that the 11" inseam might be a little long for guys with shorter legs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My DH would probably not wear the anything right now except the horizontal stripes, which I have managed to sneak into his wardrobe in the form of polo shirts. I say "right now" because I am working on him ;)

    I like seeing articles about men's trends ... it gives me ideas for my DH that might look good on him, but are a bit outside his sartorial "box." Thanks Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, cardis on men! I got DH a thick, cozy cableknit shawl collar cardigan for the holidays, thinking maybe he'd wear it but I'd likely be co-opting it within two weeks. To my surprise, he LOVED it and wore it a couple times a week until it got warm. He's getting into the idea that a nice sweater is so much nicer than a hoodie, and just as easy. Similarly, I've been trying to ingrain the notion that an untucked oxford, sleeves rolled up, is comfortable and more flattering than a tee shirt. He'd always equated collar=tie=EW, don't make me, so it's a bit of an uphill struggle. To his credit, since he's been dressing more, he is also getting more frequent haircuts. If I could get him to shave every single day, though, that would really be a victory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting how they mention white jeans in the article, but then fail to pick a pair to showcase. I think the white jeans look is much more desirable than, say, the baseball jacket or madras shorts.

    As for me, mayyyyyyyybe I'd wear the horizontal striped shirt, though I'm afraid I'd end up loooking like a Greek fisherman. Anyway, aren't horizontal stripes on the stomach a bad start for most guys anyway? (At least those of us without 6-pack abs underneath).

    If you're diggin' the aviator look, why not go for the RayBans? Nothing beats the originals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the J. Crew men's line, but I agree that some of the pieces are better suited for the younger crowd. My husband feels more comfortable with brands like Brooks Brothers and Vineyard Vines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I check over the list I realize I don't have any of these items. I have Wayfarers, plaid short and striped sweaters from J.Crew, but not these items.

    I'm wearing the camp shorts and a polo from J.Crew today and love both of them. The plaid ones may be ones to score on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ gigiofca - it all got shipped back????? woohooo. does anyone know if the site update this morning already happened? because if it did, it was totally a non-event...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I scored a madras swim shorts at a "kill sale" for $4.99 last week at my B&M, but will see if my 30-something DH will wear them...it is soft fabric which is different from the other JC one I got him couple yrs ago. It looks just like the picture. Other than that, I don't think he's into wearing the jacket or the shawl collar cardigan. He did enjoy wearing his merino gray with navy strip cardigan this past fall/winter I got at a sale couple seasons ago. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Site updated within the last 1/2 hour or so. Pretty uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband wears a lot of J.Crew and loves most of what they offer. At first he was leery of the madras shorts but after he realized how comfortable and cool they were he was hooked. He will even wear the patchwork madras now.

    I plan to order the shawl collar sweater for him the next time I place an order, hopefully when the new arrivals are out this week. He gets a lot of compliments when he follows my style advice so he's pretty accepting of my recommendations. Wasn't that way in the beginning but once the compliments kept rolling in...

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baybaybay, isn't it nice when the good feedback keeps rolling in? Makes our jobs alot easier. We'll make aficionados out of our guys yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi again,

    Sorry for the many posts today... Also sorry for an OT topic. However, I thought I should mention a jcrew ref in an NYT article.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/fashion/18codes.html?em

    Apparently, "all- American preppy style has come back for another goround. There is madras everything, button-downs everywhere." Of course this comes as no surprise to the stylish folks on this site. Still, it's nice to see that others agree that the look has merit.

    Also, I should not that the article has photos of menswear from several vendors including JCrew.

    Hope it's useful to the JCOs out there :}

    Heather:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have any of you guys tried the Utility jacket that's been out for a few months? I bought one for my husband but the M fits like a small and I'm wondering if it has the wrong tag or if everyone is sizing up.

    TIA

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)