Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Frank Muytjens Favorite Things

"Thanks!" to Nicole who shared the following post (click here) from Times Magazine about our favorite J.Crew executive, Frank Muytjens!

The following is the article which also has a slide show (click here to view online):
GET: IN-STORE; Manly Thing: J. Crew Men's Shop
By Sandra Ballentine
September 12, 2010

Housed in a former bank on the Upper East Side, with a knotty-pine interior inspired by old Swiss farmhouses, the new store is as layered as Frank Muytjens, the company's head men's-wear designer. ''We tried to create a special experience, with lots of exclusive items, limited editions and interesting one-offs, like vintage books and records,'' Muytjens says.

1. The store will carry pieces from the English leather-goods company Swaine Adeney Brigg. ''Each piece demonstrates that particularly English attention to detail,'' Muytjens says. This trolley is $2,875.

2. The designer likes to peruse the case at Bedford Cheese Shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. ''Every single cheese has a mouthwatering description that defies you not to buy it,'' he says. Go to bedfordcheeseshop.com.

3. He makes his point with red graphite pencils from Ito-ya, the Tokyo stationery store.

4. Muytjens has a thing for thistles, and he uses the spiky flowers for design presentations and as office d?r. He even grows them in his garden upstate. ''They are spindly and prickly and look very masculine.''

5. He collaborated on these supple boots ($400) with W. C. Russell Moccasin Co., which has been making handmade moccasins in Berlin, Wis., since 1898.

6. His beat-up Filson bag contains a copy of Paul Taylor's 1988 book about Malcolm McLaren. ''He was the first one to mix musical elements from different cultures and come up with something completely fresh, and was hugely influential to me growing up.''

7. Muytjens teamed up with another American heritage brand -- Seattle's Crescent Down Works -- on this vest ($265). ''I love the simplicity of their designs,'' he says.

8. A nature lover, he heads to his house in Hillsdale, N.Y., for ''tranquillity, open space and a killer view.''

9. He collects examples of ''La France Travaille,'' a series of books from the 1930s and 1940s about French workwear. ''I'm inspired by people who use their hands and are close to the earth,'' he says. ''Their garments are stained and mended and passed along for generations -- they tell a story.''

10. The designer is obsessed with old-fashioned American hardware stores, and tools like this Estwing hammer: ''The more you use it, the more beautiful it becomes.'' Go to estwing.com.

11. Muytjens combs Germain, a home furnishings store in Great Barrington, Mass., for French industrial pieces. ''It's dangerous territory for me.'' Go to germain-store.com.

12. These one-of-a-kind $350 chinos (only 20 pairs were made) are patched with panels from vintage pants. ''We may be a big company,'' he says, ''but we relish small, unique projects like this.''
Um... what is up with those chinos!?! The Repaired Stanton Chinos (Item 39088; $350.00) are just plain ridiculous. I checked out the description and frankly could not figure out why they cost so much. I might be missing something. But I know what I am not missing, $350! ;)

With that said, I really like Frank Muytjens. He has done a fantastic job with men's design at J.Crew. My hope is that one day he will return to the Women's department. Even if it is for just a limited time collection. :)

What are your thoughts on the article & slide show? How much do you love Frank Muytjens?

10 comments:

  1. "I might be missing something. But I know what I am not missing, $350! ;)"

    Alexis, you really made me chuckle with that one, and I needed it this evening. Thank you. :D

    ITA these things are horrible! If someone's mom had patched their pants like that when they were a kid, they would've hid from everyone in shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Frank's esthetic and really like what he did in JC's heyday. Those $350 pants? Shows him to be kinda out of touch if you ask me. No guy I know would want to be caught dead in pants that look like they were patched together from remnants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one of a kind pants were made in the US by higher paid personnel in the design dept; not farmed out to China. The company needs to stop messing around with other vendors. Who do they want to be, Anthro? Frank, come back to womens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JCAs: Glad to see that I wasn't the only one questioning those $350 chinos. I love Frank, but what was he thinking with those! ;)

    Mia: Happy that line made you smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. $350 for that?! You're right - we will not be missing $350! :)
    As my mom would say - if you pay me $350 I'll rip up a nice pants for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dissenter here--I saw the chinos (in a classic chino color) at a NY men's store. They were clearly hand done. They are what would happen if you had chinos for 25 years and lovingly repaired them. I feel my 25-year-old 501s are worth a small fortune so I get it. If they came small enough I would be trolling the site if they make it to markdowns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article and the slideshow made me giggle. He grows thistles, which are a noxious weed so the municipality would probably not approve, and the slideshow has a photo of sea holly, which is totally unrelated to thistle. Yes, nitpicky I know, but I'm a detail person.

    And ya, I get it on the chinos, it's like the destroyed matchsticks I have. Love them. Wouldn't pay $350 for them though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frank is the man, but $350 for beat-up, repaired chinos .... nah no.

    Love what J.Crew is doing on the mens' side, and every month my wallet takes a hit, but I'm very happy with what I get.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)