Sunday, August 10, 2008

Article On The Trend Of Men's Only Store

There is an interesting story over at the L.A. Times that is worth sharing. For the article in its entirety, click here. The following are selected portions:

L.A.'s Ferragamo shop leads the way in stores for men only
By Adam Tschorn
August 10, 2008

GUYS, Salvatore Ferragamo knows you want that $30,000 burgundy crocodile duffel -- and thinks it has the perfect lure. The brand's new men's boutique at the Beverly Center in L.A. -- the first of its kind in the country -- is a study in Italian-style man-luxe: 2,000 square feet of wood-grained walls, cream-colored floors and buttery leather couches where you can sip espresso while perusing the full men's collection that ranges from $160 neckties to that oh-so extravagant duffel.

Male desire, thy name is paneling. And comfy chairs. And a store environment to call your own. At least that's the formula that seems to be emerging as retailers train their powers of enticement on guys.

Looking beyond the purse-and-pumps model that built its business, Ferragamo is on the leading edge of a new and energetic grab for the hearts and wallets of men. Later this month, J. Crew is going man-centric, opening its first men's store in a converted Tribeca drinking establishment, with a curated "best-of" collection alongside Globe-Trotter luggage and vintage Borsalino hats. By next fall, Hermès and Ralph Lauren plan to have Manhattan real estate devoted solely to men's merchandise, and Tiffany recently opened its third men's jewelry store in Japan.

Why the sudden discovery of the XY chromosome? It turns out that in the current economic environment, men's shopping has been one of the few bright spots. According to Wendy Liebmann, chief executive of WSL Strategic Retail, a company that studies shopping habits, there are two reasons: Men are traditionally more optimistic than women on the economy ("Because they don't see the prices at the grocery store every other day," Liebmann says). And a new generation of style-savvy 20- to 40-year-old male shoppers is roaming the malls. The result is a retail landscape ripe for a shot of testosterone. ...

The retail outpost as pseudo-bar/gathering place isn't accidental, Liebmann says. "What you're starting to see is the recognition from retailers that it isn't just about a different physical space; it's about a different mood, a different environment. And sometimes another floor in the same building isn't enough."It's an approach being used beyond the luxury labels too. Preppy staple J. Crew is putting the final touches on its men's-only space -- the former Liquor Store bar at 235 W. Broadway in New York City.When the Liquor Store location opens later this month, it will be with the original fixtures -- including the bathrooms and the bar itself -- intact, as a showcase for the pricier men's pieces in the line, including Japanese selvage denim and broken-in chinos, collaborations with Red Wing and Thomas Mason and an assortment of old-school brands like Mackintosh coats and Timex watches. ...

I personally think that it is great that some brands are now devoting stores entirely to men. I find that sometimes, men get shortchanged in the depth and breadth of clothing items in dual-gender stores.

What do you think about the Men-only store capitalizing on the trend of male fashion-conscious consumers? Do you like the J.Crew Men-Only store concept? Will you shop at J.Crew's Men-Only store?

20 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea. Whenever I go shopping with my sister, I feel that in almost every store, the men's section leaves more to be desired and that the women section sometimes takes over 75% of the space.

    A men's-only store also provides a space where men can relax and shop comfortably (more spending). Some J. Crew's in Manhattan (SoHo and 5th Ave) sort of have a men's only/women only feel since each is on a different floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will take some serious catching up on our part, but maybe one day we'll equal the retail space of the fairer sex.

    I'd love to go to a store like this. And true be told I'd most likely spend far more too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's nice men are getting their own stores, but I'm not sure how well they will do. I don't personally know many men who shop or would visit one of these stores, as it's mainly the wives that do the shopping. Btw...now that J.Crew is making men's only stores...can they take the mens' merchandise out of my store and bring in more of the womens line? I rarely see anyone purchasing OR even looking at the men's section at the store in Orlando...it just seems to be taking up alot of space. I think they would do better with either Crewcuts or more womens apparel in that space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmiller will love the new mens store when it opens. I know I will be "dragged" there many times and I will gladly go along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banana Republic have mens only stores, everytime I go by the mens BR in my area it is empty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that men's stores/sections of stores that are devoted to men are almost always dead. The J. Crew men's only store sounds fabulous though. If they actually serve beer, I think they'll get more traffic.

    I want a women's curated collection. What does that mean anyway? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Besides, men have Brooks Brothers, lol

    Only about 25% of their range and floor space is devoted to women.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about the men's section always dead. In fact, my husband WON'T wear anything from J crew out of spite. I think he believes I give them enough money as it is, he doesn't want to contribute anymore!:) HOWEVER, if they came out with Non-iron shirts like Brooks or JosABanks, it just might end up becoming a staple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ffm: they just did that very thing at my b&m about three weeks ago. They took out the men's, were upgraded in ranking, and were supposed to get more/better merchandise. (btw, it's a very small) Yet they only got a few bangles and some belts. Still no cashmere or jewelry or shoes! They say maybe it'll happen with next roll-out, but who knows.

    Anyway, my point is that they said the company is trying a lot of new things right now and sort of in an "experimental" phase to see what works best and where. And they also said that it changes by the second and they are sort of making decisions on the fly. You never know, your store just may go that same direction...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's a great idea and there is a market for it. The stores obviously have to be in the right places. Can't see them in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of sending my fiance to a men's store so I can shop in peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with some of the previous posters; when I go into a B&M the men's half is always empty. I don't venture over there because J.Crew is too "trendy" for Mr. Hex. He is 100% Brooks and L.L. Bean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think its a nice idea! Men should have their own store too. But as everyone said...I don't know how well it will do. I don't think I've ever seen a guy shopping...

    And I totally agree with you ffm. Give them their own store, and make them move out of ours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. jay krue- different floors? Even that would be a step up from the nearby B&M!

    I agree with gigiofca and cristin. I would love to see what happens if they create that same kind of excitement in the atmosphere and mood of the store, not just having separate spaces. The article makes it sound like the various companies are really trying to make a go of it.

    If they are going to entice men into their own stores, I hope they don't forget to do something special for the women's stores too, like carrying extended sizes (petites/tall), more selection or maybe different promotions. There's a local store that is family run, and they do hospitality events. In the summer time, they send a post card to loyal customers for a special sale with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. Regular customers get the same sale the next day.

    I think women will want to know that they're being treated special too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. weab: I hope they do that experiment at my store! I would LOVE to see all that room in the back filled with all womens clothing and shoes...we NEVER get the shoes!!! Even Crewcuts would be better...I think they would make TONS of sales if it were Crewcuts in the back, instead of Men's.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    I know this is off-topic, but I'm wondering if you can help me re a White Eyelet Zoey Dress style 93587 in size 6.

    I just missed buying it and I've been desperately looking for it as I had it tagged for a low key wedding and am trying everything to track one down. Really appreciate it. Thanks, Marianne
    mstirpot487@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marianne: Try calling a personal shopper. If this is for a wedding they have people that specialize in events and they might be able to find it for you. I think you need to e-mail ashley, the website has her e-mail address... but really, I would just call in to customer service and ask them to x-fer you to the events department and you can speak with someone ASAP who will bend over backwards to help you. Or if not they can suggest a similar option for you. They are the best

    ReplyDelete
  18. The new store sounds cool, but regarding the article's author, the trend of mockingly using "man-" as an adjectival prefix is getting old. "Man-luxe", seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fine!! I'm also searching for unique men's jewelry for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a good idea, though they really will have to keep these mens stores rather exclusive and have only a handful of locations.

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)