Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jenna Puts the J in J.Crew {and I heart JCAs!}

In Tuesday's "Jenna Puts the J in J.Crew" post, the featured article mentioned a few blogs that follow J.Crew. I said that I was sad to see the JCA blog omitted from the list. (The JCA community is a great one and I was disappointed that it didn't get recognized.)

I wanted to let you know that the author of the article, Molly, reached out to me and allowed me to re-post some of her response:
...Wanted to drop you a line--and I'm sure this is cold comfort, at best--and tell you that JCA was indeed mentioned in the article I wrote, but subsequently snipped away by the editors for space reasons (along with around 800 other words.) ... It is my error; I should have parsed the omission when I reviewed the final version. I'm sorry for that, ...

...At any rate, just wanted to say hello and apologize for my oversight. I should have been more eagle-eyed.

...I feel shoddy about it. It was one of those midnight hour changes--after the page gets laid out, they always shave off words here and there to make everything fit. I really should've caught the change...it's my responsibility after all, as the writer! V. annoyed with myself.
I am really touched by Molly's thoughtful response. It is super nice of her. Especially since she did not have to. I also appreciate the explanation (which totally makes sense now).

I also had to include her part about Jenna:
I must admit that I entered the assignment with some skepticism about Lyons. The brand's exaltation of her always felt extremely heavy-handed to me. But: spending many, many, hours shadowing and interviewing her made it clear that she's that rare breed of profile subject who is genuinely...well, admirable. It's a startling thing to encounter, especially with someone of her position/ influence. ...
I know we have Jenna fatigue sometimes, but I do admit to feeling that Jenna is something awesome. Some of her quotes in the article made her down-to-earth and endearing. I don't know if I would have the guts to reveal bald spots, scars, and fake teeth to a reporter. (My friends, sure. To a reporter, I don't know.) She did! And that childhood photo? Adorable!

Lastly, I want to thank Molly for reaching out to me and all the JCAs who supported the JCA Blog in the post. You guys are uh-mazing! :)

27 comments:

  1. That was very nice of Molly to reach out to you, Alexis. You deserve all the recognition in the world for creating and maintaining this incredible blog and community. YOU are truly uh-mazing! *loud applause*

    ReplyDelete
  2. patmosjd: Aw, thank you! Seriously, thank you and all the great JCAs who help with this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is really sporting of the writer to contact you and apologize in this way!
    I agree about Jenna: I admire her more all the time and not just for her mint green Chanel tote bag. She seems very down to earth and reasonable as well as talented.
    Yes and thanks Alexis for this creation!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DaniBP: I agree with everything you wrote! Too funny (& too true!) about the Chanel tote.

    Pixelant: I thought so too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice of Molly to apologize for the oversight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexis, we all know that you have the #1 J.Crew blog. That's why we're here. I've been following for three years already, I can't imagine shopping J.Crew without it. Just too bad you ended up on the cutting room floor.

    I think Jenna is great and I admire her success. She seems honest, genuine and certainly talented. I don't know if I could take my business decisions out to the court of public opinion and have the same results. Sure, we don't love everything but overall she has an amazing record, case in point - all the JCAs that love the brand and watch its every move.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm admiring Molly! Good for her! Your work here deserves the recognition, Alexis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Alexis! I think it is wonderful the reporter reached out to you! Now if only Jenna (whom I genuinely like) would come in and chat with us one of these weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! Cool! Well good on her for responding. And in my past life as a newspaper editor, I can indeed attest to the fact that in layout, we do trim off words here and there, and 99% of the time, the writer doesn't see it before it's finalized and pushed out.

    Thank you for sharing, Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very classy of Molly--matches your class, Alexis, which is always consistent and admirable!

    I thought the way RatsOnParade dealt with it was super classy too--nice redirection to the JCA blog in her post on the subject on her blog.

    I have never met Jenna, but exchanged notes with her. From all I can tell she is the genuine article. I don't have Jenna fatigue, but I imagine Jenna herself very well might!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that is very classy of Molly. So glad that she contacted you about it. :)

    OT: I just received a lovely box of Farmer Al's Peaches from J.Crew/DL! The card reads: "I personally want to thank you for your continued loyalty to J.Crew and hope you'll enjoy this small token of my appreciation. [bit about the peaches] signed, DL" Aw, that's really nice. Plus, yum. They've done this before, but this is my first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again everyone for the nice words of support. You are the best!

    I too admire RatsOnParade's class with her related post. She is terrific and so is her blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. shopwithm: you got peaches?! How wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading the article.
    I, too, appreciate your incredible effort, Alexis, in keeping up this blog for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to hear! JCA is THE JC blog, period.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad to hear the reporter contacted you! You deserve the recognition - it's really too bad your mention got cut out of the final draft of the article. Alexis, this is the #1 J. Crew blog on the web, no question about it, and if it weren't for your efforts, this fabulous community wouldn't exist. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, very interesting! And very nice of Molly. Alexis, just want to echo the others' sentiments about what a great blog this is. It truly is one of my first stops online every day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice of Molly to contact you.

    Yes...I totally agree with everyone, Alexis, you have done a wonderful with this blog. Love it here! Such great people on this site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy to see the acknowledgement for you Alexis. You really do an amazing job of maintaining this blog! I rely on the community here to make most of my purchases, and I've discovered so many lovely bloggers through you! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alexis I just want to reiterate that this blog is awesome and you and ALL the people on this blog are classy people. I have never followed a blog where people are so decent to each other before.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It really is nice for the reporter to reach out to you and straighten things out.

    Alexis, we JCAs really owe it to you for all the hard work you do to keep this awesome blog! <3 you & fellow JCAs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful that Molly would reach out and it is refreshing to hear that Jenna is human. : ) Thanks Alexis for your hard work!

    (I have been vacationing and I feel like so much has happened this week! It is nice to be back to the sweet addiction to the JCA blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woo-hoo!!! This is so cool. Well deserved recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  24. With patmosjd for a *** standing ovation *** for The Mothership.

    I agree that Molly was fab to send an email. That was really swell.

    I can't say I have Jenna fatigue. I don't mind the mention as it's good to hear news about a high ranking woman. I think I figured out something that bothers me. It's too bad that she feels the need to be self-deprecating or reveal highly personal facts about herself. What male counterpart does that? I don't believe women should be exactly like men. We're different. However, I don't think she has convince us she's just like us. She's not. It's ok to be in a position of power and just generally awesome. Jenna seems like a real person and that will come thru without all of the extras about how she didn't fit in and so on. I hope she stops shrinking and stands up fully once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with everyone else that it was very nice of Molly to contact you Alexis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks again everyone for your wonderful comments. It put a smile on my face to read them all!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear J.Crew Aficionadas & Aficionados: Please feel free (and encouraged) to share your thoughts and opinions. :) However, please note that this is still a personal blog. So comments that are considered inappropriate (e.g. obscene, racist, homophobic, personal attacks, rude, and just plain mean) will be removed.

And now back to J.Crew! :)